Offshore "Tempest" Wednesday Dhess Shane & daveylad

daveylad

We met up at Bribie Island ramp about 3.30am and loaded up and set off to a calm bay, there is usually some swell and pressure waves as you get into the channell towards the Island but today was pretty calm. Dom stopped off at one his spots to give it a try and we were quicky rewarded with a few snap all over 40cm mark, then I managed to pull up my PB Pearlie which measured up about 51cm. we hung around this spot for a short while then headed off to shallow Tempest. We managed to pull in a few more snaps then Shane on his light gear pulled in a fantastic Maori Cod about 50cm . The weather seemed to be improving and flattening out more so we headed out to deep Tempest it was like the proverble Mill Pond. As smooth as it was there was a good current running and we had to put on some heavier weights to get the bottom. Shane had a go at Jigging and managed a nice snapper, on his secong go Dom told him there were Amber Jacks in the arrea and hw would have a problem with his light gear, sure enough he was hit like a mack Truck and after a brief rod bending minute it snapped off at hte hook

. I think Shane will get some heavier gear for the jigging in future I tried it for a short ime but it all seemed too much an effort as the place was really shutting down. We fished on for another couple of hours not really getting a bite so headed off back to Shallow tempest but the same there so we headed back to shore with the weather picking up a bit and some storms starting to form in land. A good days fishing with good company "Luxury"

post-7571-144598873927_thumb.jpg

post-7571-144598873941_thumb.jpg

Cheers for the trip out Dom and Dave. It was a awesome day on the water. If only the fishing was as hot as it was in the morning. Even than the weather made up for it. It was my first time up there. Its nice but i still like off straddie more for some reason.

It was first time offshore jigging for me. Its hard work but, Really rewarding, Will be concentrating on it more from now. Cant wait to hook on to a AJ and Kingie now.

Time to get bigger gear lol.

post-9281-14459887402_thumb.jpg

Shane

Some good fish there guy's, and magic conditions :woohoo:

Shane even the lightest model monster mesh (which is pe2-3) with a 5000 Stella should pull up most Kingies and Aj's. I would say you most likely hooked a shark, they love jigs. Even my mate's pe2 xzoga taka jig rod with a 3000 branzino running pe2 braid had no problem showing multiple 10kg Cobia who was boss a while ago. I reckon you might need to man up and put more hurt on the rod and the fish :P

cheers tim :)

It was a nice outing but a shame for the fish to shut down like that especially after such a promising start. We really should have hit the water an hour earlier.

Interestingly all morning there was bugger all current with pea sized sinkers being adequate to get down even in 90m. Around the lunch time the current ran like a bitch. Even with a drift anchor 16oz. snapper lead was nowhere near heavy enough to stay near the bottom in 70-80m. Easily amongst the strongest current I have experienced offshore SE QLD.

Benno, Agree with you on maori cod. Done the right way they are superb on the plate yet some people don't like them.

Tim, the fish that owned Shane had AJ written all over it. It went straight down, Shane turned it for a few seconds, it panicked and it was all over. I even called the show on the sounder as a bait fish being monstered by AJ's seconds earlier. True more drag pressure might have saved the day but I think it was just a matter of being outgunned. The bumps we fished usually hold plenty of AJ's, and they are usually big ones too. Have pulled plenty in the 15-25kg from around there. I reckon we only land about 50% of the AJ's we hook in that area and I don't muck around with light drag settings. I usually fish PE6 on Talica 12 with the drag maxed and often that isn't enough.

Thanks for the company Dave and Shane.

Some very nice fish there guys. If I had a bit more sleep and the boat was prepped I would have ducked out for a look. Haven't hit that area before but would love to hit some monsters out there. Very nice pearlie.

With big fish sometimes you just have no hope. If they are in that mood even the heaviest tackle wont stop them. Even with a Stella and game gear its all luck. Hook them at the wrong angle, wrong depth, wrong leader, tongue not hanging out at the right angle and its all over.

Archived