Choosing Right Size Reel Help Needed

blue09

Hi,

I have 10ft and 12ft (60-120gm) 2 rods.

I am looking to buy a new (Daiwa) reel.

I will use it only off the rocks and my first priority is to cast as far as possible (around 80-100meters casting).

I always use 0.35mm mono (6.8kg) line.

I also might use 0.20mm braid (sometimes).

When buying the reel, the specs are mentioned as:

Reel1: (Daiwa Crosscast 4000) 20lb(0.370mm)-200m

Reel2: (Daiwa Crosscast 4500) 28lb(0.435mm)-170m

Reel3: (Daiwa Crosscast 5000) 30lb(0.470mm)-200m

Reel4: (Daiwa Crosscast 5500) 30lb(0.470mm)-250m

Considering the line that I use and my expectaions (casting about 100meters) which reel will be the best one?

Should I stick to the line capacity specs ? Or a bigger reel with still a thin line will cast more?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not up on the weight and size of that model but knowing Daiwa there probably isn't much between them just varying spoool sizes. Hopefully they come with two spools one you can load with mono the other braid.

Casting 100m the actual reel isn't as important as line diameter and most importantly loading your rod up properly and those two need to work together. If it takes 100gm to fully load your rod then you might find you suffer a lot of break offs when casting with 6 or even 8 kilo if you are too aggressive with your casting style. Then to complicate things fishing around rocks needs some abrasion resistance so heavier mono helps.

But baack to your question, if there is no real weight difference go the 5500, capacity is always handy to have just in case. Also if you are needing to winch fish up using the reel aim for a lower ratio retrieve.

I'm not up on the weight and size of that model but knowing Daiwa there probably isn't much between them just varying spoool sizes. Hopefully they come with two spools one you can load with mono the other braid.

Casting 100m the actual reel isn't as important as line diameter and most importantly loading your rod up properly and those two need to work together. If it takes 100gm to fully load your rod then you might find you suffer a lot of break offs when casting with 6 or even 8 kilo if you are too aggressive with your casting style. Then to complicate things fishing around rocks needs some abrasion resistance so heavier mono helps.

But baack to your question, if there is no real weight difference go the 5500, capacity is always handy to have just in case. Also if you are needing to winch fish up using the reel aim for a lower ratio retrieve.

Thank you so I will not worry about the specs of the spool and go with the 5500 or even with 6000 as bigger spool may help longer casting.

Btw I will use 0.35mm mono and I will never use any mono line thicker than that.

I might try 0.20 braid if 0.35mm will not be good with that spool.

Thank you so I will not worry about the specs of the spool and go with the 5500 or even with 6000 as bigger spool may help longer casting.

Btw I will use 0.35mm mono and I will never use any mono line thicker than that.

Use a braid with flouro (sinking) or mono (floating) leader

mono has a lot of line memory which will reduce your casting distance and sometimes cause wind knots.

I agree with waldo that a large reel is good for reel capacity; the drag matters as well.

However, I usually look at the balance of the rod/reel combo as well:

i.e. for long distance casting I would want the weight balance to be slightly further in front of the reel as compared to all day casting where a perfectly balanced combo is preferred.

Might just by my opinion but I think having the weight balanced further towards the front helps in that respect.

spooling should be done well, not over/under spooled as under spooling can cause reduced casting distance and overspooling, wind knots.

line rating depends on your target species but I'll let someone else elaborate since you're probably sick of reading this :woohoo:

Use a braid with flouro (sinking) or mono (floating) leader

mono has a lot of line memory which will reduce your casting distance and sometimes cause wind knots.

I agree with waldo that a large reel is good for reel capacity; the drag matters as well.

However, I usually look at the balance of the rod/reel combo as well:

i.e. for long distance casting I would want the weight balance to be slightly further in front of the reel as compared to all day casting where a perfectly balanced combo is preferred.

Might just by my opinion but I think having the weight balanced further towards the front helps in that respect.

spooling should be done well, not over/under spooled as under spooling can cause reduced casting distance and overspooling, wind knots.

line rating depends on your target species but I'll let someone else elaborate since you're probably sick of reading this :woohoo:

Thank you very much for help so I 'll try braid with mono under.

In regards to casting distance 6000 size spool will be better as it has more line capacity is that right? If so, I 'll get size 6000?

I think a few wires are getting crossed :dry:

Sorry if I have mislead you a bit with the reel size. I suggested the bigger reel/spool (capacity) for the fighting potential not the casting distance. If possible take your rod/s along to where you are buying it from and get a feel for the sizes and weight that suit you best.

Archived