Light Tackle Sharkin'!

chrislocke

Got out for a fish last night for a bit of an optimistic shark fish using light gear. (saltiga 4000, samurai 602 and 40lb daiwa acudepth braid)

It all started with a spontaneous decision to travel up Noosa's North Shore in the hope that we might cross paths with a shark or two. The bait of choice was whole mullet and the rig consisted of 90lb heat shrink wire and circle hooks. To me, a saltiga 4000 seemed like a massive reel for any fish (I dont get offshore much) and I was very confident I wouldnt have any troubles...Until! It wasn't long after I casted my whole mullet into a likely looking gutter that the saltiga drag started peeling off at a rate of knots!I incresed the drag slowly and the drag screamed louder and louder! What ever this was, It was BIG! This pretty much summed up the next 40 minutes of torture (no gimble!) as I battled this beast of a fish in the shallows.

We didn't measure This beast but I estimated 2m? It was bigger than me anyway!

Thanks For reading! Cheers, Chris.

post-8925-144598894184_thumb.png

post-8925-144598894236_thumb.jpg

post-8925-144598894246_thumb.jpg

post-8925-144598894255_thumb.jpg

post-8925-144598894264_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words people! What I forgot to mention was the cast before that, I battled a really big shark for a good 30 minutes (We think it was a tiger) and it cut through the wire. So yes I was absolutelty buggered by the time I landed that second shark! And of course, the boss showed no mercy and I worked hard all day :S

Thanks for the ID, I'm fairly definite it's a lemon shark. Shame I dropped the first one, It was a stonker :blush:

Archived