drifting with SP's

Liquor Box

Hi guys, i am planning to visit the Gold Coast broadwater tomorrow on a run in tide to fish for flat head (and anything else ).

This will be the first time i will only take SP's and no bait, so i am pretty nervous as i would love to still catch a fish or two.

If I drift with the tide and am using SP's do i just let the jighead bounce along the bottom or should i cast and retrieve? I have caught a flat head before by casting, letting the SP hit the bottom and then waiting 3-4 seconds, a quick flick and let the jighead hit the bottom for a few seconds and repeat, i tried to go fairly slow, and i at least got a few fish.

Is there a better technique? should i cast in front of my yak and then retrieve towards me or cast to the side?

Any suggestion would be appreciated, i will be using 6lb fireline and 6 lb fluro with 3\" pumkinseed minnows, 4\" lime tiger minnow or 3\" mango ripple glow grubs. I have either 6grm, 1.5grm or 3.5grm jigheads.

If you have had success with any of these please tell me.

Thanks

Glen,

Depends on how fast you are drifting. For flatties give the lure a quick upwards snap to get it to leap up off the bottom. Then let it sink all the way back to the sand before the next flick.

If you are drifting very fast and fishing behind the yak you might have trouble getting the lure back to the bottom quickly enough. Slow drift; cast anywhere, fast drift; cast ahead of the yak.

I'd use the heavier heads you have or maybe even grab some 1/4oz (about 7g).

Lure tail choice is less important than getting the retrieve right.

Prawnstar lures work really well in a drifting situation !

Adjust the weight system so it gets down but don't add to much as U don't want it jumping along the bottom.

Look for more of a gliding action 1ft or 2ft from the bottom.

Bream and flathead love it. works a treat !

I can hear people saying \"Prawnstars ain't soft plastics\" but hey if it works use it !

Archived