Caloundra Bar or Mooloolaba safe option??

melrichsin

Hi all, I am going camping at Caloundra with some mates but us boys will do the early morning fish-

how user friendly has Caloundra Bar been lately?

Looking to launch around 4.30am with low tide 2am so should be decent water but since I will have some rookies on board I am happy to drive a little further and go over Mooloolaba?

any local feedback appreciated... :unsure:

Hey Mate,

I am not an authority on bars by any means but from talking to the local guys on the Sunny coast the Caloundra bar changes all the time so you need to know what its been doing. The mooloolaba option would be the safest for sure.

Just my opinion I am sure there will be other guys on here that know the area better than me.

Cheers.

A couple of weeks ago the reporters on QFM were suggesting to use Mooloolaba instead of Caloundra.

If you're on about this weekend, we have a new moon which will mean the extremes of lows and high tides. I'm pretty sure the 2am low is the very low, low tide so you won't have much water over that bar at 2am. 2 and a half hours may be enough to give you a decent bit of water, I'm not sure.

On the plus side the conditions look pretty good, with a reasonably small swell.

If its a tiny, you could always launch at Kings Beach Boat ramp :woohoo:

I use Mooloolahbah all the time its the safest and the bay is called gereatics bay by the rescue people very safe. As you leave the entrance there is a swell coming from the east that has to be watched but not really any problem as they have now dredged the opening and its under control. As ted says check all the conditions first

Archived