Marlin sinks boat

AZZA

Yeh I don't think it would be to hard if my leg is trimmed right in and I give it a bit in reverse it sucks down pretty hard but I girl right up and get off the power quick. I want to build a pod for under the rear swim platform that will stabilise the boat at rest and enable me to reverse with less worry of bogging the bum in

Okay, fair enough something crazy happened here to make this bloke sink. But that is still astonishing. I would think only the individual chops/swells are going to roll over the side? Like surely it would take a sh*tload of water to roll over to do that. In which case, I'm just shocked he didn't get to a) straighten the boat up, B) push the bloody thing out of reverse and c) hit the bilge.

I know option B would be my first initial reaction.

Edit; AZZA. Trim tabs eh. Completely forgot about those. But surely ol' mate would have known that when he was reversing initially? Wouldn't you pull them up when going in reverse after a marlin?

I'm not trying to have a go at this bloke. I'm genuinely intrigued by how this happened. Afterall, I'd hate to wind up in a similar spot :sick:

Sorry Terry I did not mean trim tabs mine being an inboard when the drive leg is trimmed right in the prop is facing towards the ocean floor so it wants to pull the boat into the water and when trimmed up the prop faces towards the ski so that's where the bum of the boat wants to go. The boat in the pic would be a shaft drive and the props are always pulling the boat down when reversing so that and the fact the skipper f' up ended badly. Just goes to show that you should wear the kill switch lanyard all the time

In the article it says he fell over and hit the throtle in full reverse and once the water is coming over the stern the weight of the water makes the angle worse very quickly the engine room probably got filled with water in the end and he would have lost all electrics

unlucky bugger

Archived