Out deep and then to the FADs

Ben Derecki

Been a while since I've posted here, hoping to get back into it over the next little while.

Managed to get out recently, the weather was fine and we were hoping for a good session out in the deep.

Headed out to target some red snapper / bight red fish in 180m, spotted some birds on the way out so did a quick troll around them and picked up a couple of stripeys before continuing on. When we pulled up at the spot we both dropped our lines down, Jase was on the electric and I went manual. He lost his bait on the first drop, I got a triple header - 2 x reds and a big breaksea cod which provided 10 minutes of winding fun! With only one more fish available before we bagged I left the job to Jay who picked up a pink snapper on his next drop. So twenty minutes after pulling up there we had our limit.

Time to head to the FADs, we trolled all the way (around an hour) there for nothing but got excited when we pulled up as there were dollies everywhere. You could see them bubbling on the surface and swimming under the boat, then to top the excitement off we saw a marlin break the surface twice chasing some pup dollies. Well the excitement ended pretty quickly, no matter what we and the two other boats out there threw at these fish we couldn't get any interest - surface lures, divers, softies, jigs, bait the works. After 1.5hrs of trying we gave up in frustration, did a couple of laps towing some skirts but nothing happened.

We stopped off at the 40m mark on the way but nothing was playing the game there either so we called it a day and headed back to the ramp.

It was a hell day on the water, calm as, some good fish to start with, it just didn't finish as well as it started. That's fishing.

Few pics below to help show the story...

1_2.jpg

2_2.jpg

3_1.jpg

5_1.jpg

6_0.jpg

7_0.jpg

8_0.jpg

Archived