Nudgee Creek 08/09

Cliffy

Out again late yesterday arvo with the young fella, back to the rocks around the small jetty out towards the end on Nudgee Creek (or whatever the place is actually called ;)), and what a session!

Scored myself a new Plano 4-drawer tackle box :)(complete with some great-looking SP's:):laugh:) and a new spinning reel :):laugh::woohoo: for Fathers Day, so a great opportunity to try them out. Arrived about 4:30pm (about halfway up the making tide), mind spinning with the endless possibilities a couple of hours flicking some gear presented. Set up myself and the young fella with some likely looking SP's and for good measure chucked out the bigger rod with a hunk of squid dangled on a 3/0.

An hour later (and a good deal of wandering up and down the creek bank flicking the SP's), and we'd not even had a single hit-up (excluding the dreaded weed-fish, which we caught in sufficient quantities to start a fertiliser factory :unsure:)...Headed back to the squid rod, and the young fella let out a huge whoop - she was bent over like you wouldn't believe, and paying out line :woohoo:! Being somewhat quicker off the mark than his old man (still standing there going \"what's that funny sound?\" 'cos it's been that long since I've caught a decent fish :dry:) the young fella's grabbed the rod and he's busy doing the pump'n'wind thing like crazy, all the while going \"oh yeah, she's a whopper, come to daddy\", etc, etc. Really had me going until I saw what he'd hooked - some poor blokes yak, complete with rod on the back, as he cruised up-river past our spot...quietly had a word with the young bloke about this one being too big for the pan and finally convinced him to let the yak go to fight another day (apologies if it was one of our own B)).

Re-hooked and baited the big rod, got the gear back into the briney, and watched it do precisely nothing for the next half-hour...finally started getting hungry, so left the young fella to watch the rod while I started packing the rest away. Just as I'm loading the last of it into the back of the car, he goes apesh*t again, screaming and carrying on something about Moby Dick. Somewhat warily I emerged from the rear of the car looking up and down the creek for jet-ski's, motor boats, floating containers, etc heading past our spot - but no, he's into something genuine this time :woohoo:! A decent 20-minute fight later and, yeap - you guessed it, he hauls in a bloody great stingray whipping it's tail around and generally acting p*ssed off. A contracted argument later about the virtues of keeping it as bait for sharking (no gaff, no net, only way to land p*ssed off piscatorial prey is dad - i.e. me - manhandling the bl**dy thing up the rocks with bare hands), finally cut him off, much to the young fella's disgust :dry:!

Better luck next time I guess - hope you lot had better luck this weekend than we did ;)!!

Archived