sp sizes

i use jigheads with mostly size 1/0 hooks,ive only caught fish on sps of 3cm which i find a good size ,but i carry some 4cms which to me can seem a bit big,on the 1/0.does anyone know does it make any difference to your strike rate,by using smaller or if you use bigger does it atract more bigger fish.cheers john

A 3cm plastic is pretty small. Maybe you mean 3"? I have been using the Zman 2.5" grubs on a size 1 hook (not a 1/0) and that seems to attract pretty well everything in a river or estuary. Works very well on bass too. Give that a go if you like. Only downside is that you may need to put a spot of superglue onto the jighead to hold the plastic in place. The Headlox jigs are only made down to a 1/0. Vary the weight according to the conditions (as little weight as possible to get the jighead to the bottom).

Main think with the hook sizes is to select a size that allows the plastic to work and their is enough hook protruding from the plastic to pin the fish.

Andrew

More importantly, what is your target species??

You will catch lots more bream and whiting on #4 jighooks than 1/0 when fishing a smaller plastic. Likewise that same plastic can perform better with a 1/0 when targeting flathead, cod and jew.....

I regularly use #4 jigheads with 65mm wrigglers for bream in the rivers and creeks and can not fault them.

Also pays to pay attention to the wire guage for your line weight and target fish too. No point whatsoever of using a heavy guage hook on 4lb braid, use a fine wire hook, your braid can not straighten it out and the hook will set deeply with minimal effort.

Also pays to pay attention to the wire guage for your line weight and target fish too. No point whatsoever of using a heavy guage hook on 4lb braid, use a fine wire hook, your braid can not straighten it out and the hook will set deeply with minimal effort.

I had never thought of that, makes sense though. Cheers

Don't be afraid to throw around some bigger plastics at times as you'd be surprised what fish will hit, I was fishing the Tweed a couple of weeks ago using 4" curl tail zmans on a 3/8th headlock jig head which is not what I would consider a light option for throwing around in a estuary for Bream etc but still managed to catch Bream, Trevs and a Cod.

Cheers

Mark

forgive my lack of knowledge ,whats a wriggler?cheers john

ps yes gloomy i know about the light wieghts so they slowly sink,but when i fish with my son who always goes heavy ,he completely outfishes me doing it,im buggered if i know how he also seems to get good variety while i stick to the theory of lighter is best,lol

Not saying Gloomy is wrong because he's not but I find the only time you really need really light weights is for casting at rat Bream at pontoons on like two pound gear most other situations you can use a heavier weight to get it to where the fish are, personally I use 1/16, 1/12 or 1/8 and that seems to cover most bases. Just to throw another spanner in the works if you're using wriggler style plastics or any plastic with a swimming tail go heavier so as when it sinks the tail works because if its to light when it sinks it won't swim on the way to the bottom.

Cheers

Mark

Archived