vhf radio, fixed unit or hand held?

cookie_7

Hand held really only good for listening to. Very limited transmission range, maybe 10k on a good day.

I have a pair of Icoms. more than 10 years old now, original batteries still, have not missed a beat.

(Mainly use them on the yak so I can keep up to date with the weather)

No idea what their current ones are like.

I have a handheld icom IC-M23.

As indicated above, they don't have great transmission over distances above about 10km. If I were you I would definitely go for a fixed unit as you'll get better reception. You can also hook it up to your gps unit for added security in case of an emergency.

As I already have the handheld (I got it for free from work) I'm going to look into buying one of these adaptors

/>http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BNC-Female-To-SMA-Male-Connector-Antenna-Adapter-for-Vertex-Icom-Kenwood-Radio-/310609605406?pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item4851c6731e&_uhb=1#ht_2844wt_1139

And then look at connecting the handheld to a fixed antenna to get the extra distance.

Is there such a thing as a base and a handheld as part of a pack, like a cordless phone. and the handheld gets the benefit of getting a better signal through the base?

I use GME (service is excellent), ICOM is a much preferred brand though. If I had a to make a decision I would go with the fixed system.

In say an estuary setting, you are probably going to get a substantial signal on your mobile. I have logged on a couple of times using my mobile to the VMR and that is fine.

Archived