A New Recreational Fishery for SEQ

shayned

Thankyou Angus and crew for your support in our recent quest for funding to begin the process of turning Lake Kurwongbah on Brisbane's North Side into Queenslands newest Rec Fishery. It has helped us achieve Substantial funding from the federal department DAFF which will allow us to begin this important process.

As Angus knows this is only the first small step in a long process. To achieve this funding and also to achieve our goal of producing one of the best fishing impoundments in Queensland we have to complete many tasks including focusing fishing pressure on the existing Tilapia to continue to free up niche space within the existing ecosystem for the natives we will stock. Also we have to collect some fish stock and also hold fishing clinics for children as part of the process and to secure the funding as nothing in this world comes for free. With this in mind any help that can be given will be much appreciated and hopefully we can all enjoy a top class facility for years to come.

As part of this process a couple of our members along with the Petrie Lions managed to get the long term fishing bans lifted on this impoundment. We have another meeting with one of the controlling bodies on Monday to help shore up long term goals and approaches.

As to current fish levels we believe it still to be heavily stocked with Tilapia. Fortunately the Qld DPI is strongly supporting our efforts and will spend at least one full day electrofishing Kurwongbah to comfirm what we are facing.

You are right about the barra, actually there were three found but only one photo taken.

Last january a bunch of children caught just over a 1000 Tilapia, admitadly there were over 100 of them with their parents, but it will give you an idea of the amount there. You have to remember that up to 6 months ago fishing was not allowed on this impoundment so there is approx 200 hectares of Tilapia in the impoundment. We believe approx. another thousand died in the cold snap unfortunately the water temp didn't drop below 14 degrees for very long.

Haha @ Jeff.

Shayne, i think what Jeff wants to know mate, is if he goes there right now and fishes from the bank, is that ok?

If not, when do you think we should be able to fish it from the bank?

Anymore assistance AFO can be, for example a massive Tilpia extermination day, im sure tha lads would be happy to help.

I dont think you will be dissapointed with the support when you dangle a carrot in the form of a new stocked impoundment in front of these guys :)

Angus

It is certainly good news re the funding.

Geoff the way I read it is that the fishing bans have been lifted so that there is nothing stopping people from fishing from the public access areas.

Maybe Shayned will correct me if I am wrong.

I had a great day there with my grandkids at the lions event.

Shayned sorry re all the questions but will it be part of the SIP scheme and do you envisage boating access or will it be a shore based fishery only?

Thanks

Ray

Jeff, been fishing it for nearly a year, its about 1 k north of north pine dam, if your going to Mc Gavins view, dont take the turn off, go another couple of hundred yards, and its on the right.

I fished it with Ray and the kids last Australia day, heaps of tilapia caught, the odd big one, but mostly smallish. All I caught was turtles!

whatnow wrote:

yeh angus i just looked up on google earth and how come they put barra in it and not in north pine then? :blink:

Whatnow: Barra were never released officially. But you will find many dams have been stocked by the \"Midnight Stocking Brigade\".

In other words, a few guys buy a bunch of fingerlinggs and release them.

Angus

Apparently the fishing ban has been in place for a long time but it has now been lifted.

Hey Angus,

How good is this we are on our way mate!!!

Thankyou for the offer to help, and we could certainly need it. If its OK with you can I give you a bell to organise some serious pressure on the Tilapia. I have a meeting on Monday with the controlling body so I could take any ideas to them then.

CheerShayne

Feral wrote:

Jetty?

And yes it is on the Dayboro road, as I said a few hundred metres past the McGavin View turn off, or you can access it from the park on corner of Torrens and Beeville roads.

Deeper water from Dayboro road at the moment though, just walk over the dam wall.

theres a jetty on the left hand side near a point on the picture

whatnow wrote:

Feral wrote:
Jetty?

And yes it is on the Dayboro road, as I said a few hundred metres past the McGavin View turn off, or you can access it from the park on corner of Torrens and Beeville roads.

Deeper water from Dayboro road at the moment though, just walk over the dam wall.

theres a jetty on the left hand side near a point on the picture

Probably the water tower access.

This dam has aerators near the water tower as well, a good cast from the dam wall should get you into it!

shayned wrote:

Apparently the fishing ban has been in place for a long time but it has now been lifted.

Hey Angus,

How good is this we are on our way mate!!!

Thankyou for the offer to help, and we could certainly need it. If its OK with you can I give you a bell to organise some serious pressure on the Tilapia. I have a meeting on Monday with the controlling body so I could take any ideas to them then.

CheerShayne

Mate of course give me a bell.

Call this number though: 0418 341 008.

Im busy for the next 2 months. However after that (Pending BRC commitments) i am in.

Realistically, with time frames, we should aim for January. Sticky hot weather, suits the tillies. Then we can plan and promote and get a larger number of people there. Id say we could get 50 from this site alone.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Angus

Good idea Ray, we could do with you at the stocking association.

Angus,

I'll call you tomorrow to talk. If this is do able it would be fantastic, not only will it help the stocking process, we will be able to claim the effort as in kind supporting effort. With enough of this sort of help the federal gov. will give us enough money to stock up to 160000 fingerlings over the next 12 months.

Cheers

Shayne

TerryH wrote:

Shayne - is is there any details you can list as to the species that are planned for stocking.

A few more Barramundi wouldn't go astray :whistle: Then who needs Awoonga? :P

I'm up for a mass slaughter - just gotta get my machette out!

Whats with the machettes, there cant be that many eels can there????

I'm on a steep learning curve, but I beleive politics will stop stocking of barra this far south. It's not all bad news though how does a 20lb Mangrove jack on your line sound????

Archived