New to Hard Body Lures

darren22

Hi all,

I'm located in St lucia, and I've read the the Brissy River has threadfins, bream, flatties etc.

I have been using pilchards bought frozen as bait, and it only turns up Catfish, Eels and muddies.

So I've decided to try lures and got myself one of them Jerk hardbody lures from bcf and tried it, but so far, I have not gotten a SINGLE hit with that. :S

I attached a small weight on the leader and that's the set up.

-flick it out

-let it sink

-reel in 5-6 times

-let it sink again

Can anyone help me out here?

Much appreciated! :)

Get rid of the weight on the leader for a start, it is not needed and will only hinder the action of the lure. Basically target your structure, ie rockwalls mangroves, cast out give tye rod of couple of flicks to get your lure moving and you can then either slow roll or keep ripping and pausing. Jerkbaits are pretty much designed to be ripped and paused but will also work on a roll. As always persistence pays off.

Don't listen to surfingant mate, he's probably just a bait fisho who places lures in fish's mouths to take pics :P

You need to throw the lure 10,000 times then go back to bcf and get another one in a different colour, throw that one 10,000 times then return to bcf and buy one in the original colour but 58mm as opposed to the original one that was 48mm.

Once that new lure gets snagged on a passing jet ski return once again to bcf and purchase two new top water lures that are twice the price ( these will require better hardware aka owner trebles ) of course these lures probably won't dive quite deep enough and by this time you will have outgrown bcf so order 150 Japanese lures from motackle ...... I have a mate that works for NAB and can help you out with finance ;)

These motackle jap lures are ultra light and you'll need to buy a yak ( kayak ) to get out deep where the fish are but they'll only hit surface lures so you'll have to go to BCF.

Have fun Dazza

Don't listen to surfingant mate, he's probably just a bait fisho who places lures in fish's mouths to take pics :P

You need to throw the lure 10,000 times then go back to bcf and get another one in a different colour, throw that one 10,000 times then return to bcf and buy one in the original colour but 58mm as opposed to the original one that was 48mm.

Once that new lure gets snagged on a passing jet ski return once again to bcf and purchase two new top water lures that are twice the price ( these will require better hardware aka owner trebles ) of course these lures probably won't dive quite deep enough and by this time you will have outgrown bcf so order 150 Japanese lures from motackle ...... I have a mate that works for NAB and can help you out with finance ;)

These motackle jap lures are ultra light and you'll need to buy a yak ( kayak ) to get out deep where the fish are but they'll only hit surface lures so you'll have to go to BCF.

Have fun Dazza

Almost, you forgot to include floating/suspending/sinking options and rattling versus silent, but you're only a young fella new to the game so I'll forgive you ;):P

As Surfingant said, ditch the weight. If you cannot cast without the weight.. the rod is simply to heavy. This is probably the biggest tip when commencing lure fishing, it is not just a matter of buying lures... The gear (reels, rods, leaders etc) also need to suit and that is a whole other can of worms.

Max Power sounds a bit skeptical (:P) when it comes to lures but this is an each to their own thing. I have seen lure fishermen out fish bait and bait out fish lures. It depends on the time, place, species etc. At the end of the day lures are often fished for the aesthetic and the sport. To use a loose analogy, not many bow hunters would argue that a rifle would be easier... But I do not think that is the point.

If you want to continue trying bait in the river... Invest in a cast. Live baits traditionally out fish dead by a fair margin.

Good luck.

Check in with your progress.

Angus

Archived