Yakking off Wellington point

Brissy_yaker

Hey guys I've never fished off Wellington point and I went out there on the wkend to take a look but didn't have the kayak..I've heard there is shallow reef not too far out which I'd like to paddle out to but I don't kno which direction to take..is it south of the line of beacons out from the boat ramp? Approx how far in a straight line would it be? Any other good spots out there? Any advice would be handy! Cheers

When you plan on heading out, post a going fishing thread and see who else might be heading out and have them show you around. Most of us don't mind, we have been putting up with Jarryd doing it for ages.

Ages and Ages

and he still catches the most donuts :whistle:

It can be difficult to get a park between 10 and 4 most weekends.

If you do get out on the weekend and you don't have a sounder, don't worry too much, just line yourself up with all the boats and yaks that are normally there and see how you go. Most of the time you will see the bottom in the 2-3m mark and when you lose sight of it you know you've hit the dropoff. This happens both on the left and the right of the markers.

It's been very hit and miss this year out there. The fishing pressure seems to have increased a huge amount lately and this is affecting catch rates out there.

If you are a man and not a girl pretending to be a man that is the only way to yak.

Expect to paddle about 6km in a session out there, this includes paddling back to the dropoff every few minutes after getting blown off by the wind. The trip out and back is generally about 1.5km

When you plan on heading out, post a going fishing thread and see who else might be heading out and have them show you around. Most of us don't mind, we have been putting up with Jarryd doing it for ages.

Ages and Ages

and he still catches the most donuts :whistle:

Below the belt.

The dropoff at wello is well within paddling distance. Takes all of 15 mins to get there paddling mate, you will find it on a sounder easily.

Archived