New BOM Moreton Bay Forecast

Seiran

BOM have recently changed the format they use for their Moreton Bay forecast. There is now a separate forecast for seas and swell within Moreton Bay.

/>http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/moreton-bay.shtml

It seems to me, since this new format has gone live I've noticed there has been a significantly large jump in the forcasted sea height, whilst the swell prediction has stayed around the 50cm mark.

I prefer the older format. It simply gave a prediction for moreton Bay seas and left it at that. It was written simply in a single paragraph which the guys from the CG would use for their forecasts over the radio.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new format?

Tomorrow's BOM forecast below

Friday 18 October

Strong wind warning for Friday for Moreton Bay

Winds

North to northwesterly 15 to 25 knots shifting southwest to northwesterly 10 to 15 knots early in the morning ahead of a south to southeasterly change 20 to 30 knots extending from the south mid morning and decreasing to 20 to 25 knots during the afternoon.

Seas

1 to 1.5 metres, decreasing below 1 metre during the morning, then increasing to 1 to 1.5 metres around midday.

Swell

Below 0.5 metres.

Weather

Isolated thunderstorms.

I personally dont like the new set up myself.

Since they started using it tthey have be off.

Last week wenesday they got it wrong.. Forecast said 10-15 se with 1.5 to 2m southeasterly swell. Get out there more like 15-20 gusting to 25 at times with 2-3m swell at 4-6 seconds with occasional bigger sets.

Seabreeze on other hand forecasted 15-20 early dropping down 10-15 mid day which was spot on.

Hopefully they right about weekend n next weeks weather. Looks awesome at this stage.

Its a bit bizarre including swell in the moreton bay forecast since swell is absent from the bay except parts of the northern bay only in certain swell directions.

By definition swell is a macroscopic phenomenon and the bay is nowhere near vast enough for the formation of swell. Its all localilsed wind waves. I.e. seas.

Th forecast saying that the swell in the bay is less than 0.5m is pointless as the forecast will be the same every day unless there is a large swell running from the NE or E and then only some of it is going to make it into the bay near to the NE of Moreton Island and it will still only be around 0.5m.

Archived