Sunny Coast Barra Farm Report 5/01/2013

STKE

Howdy!

My Fiancé bought me a couple of tickets to the Barra Farm in Bli Bli for Christmas so I though id make the most of the last day of holidays and went up with a couple of mates Yesterday.

What an experience................not!

Couldn't bloody catch a thing (other than one Giant mullet)

These were easily the smartest bloody fish i have ever seen.

They are able to identify what pellets have the hook in them, it's incredible to watch. You would cast out 1 pallet with the worlds smallest hook in it, Burly around it and you can see the fish come up under each pellet and inspect them before the take them. They would nail everyone except you're. Extremely frustrating to watch.

Tried with all kinds of soft plastics and hardbodies, just couldn't get one. So gutting. Mates didn't land anything either.

I saw a few people pulling them in, once in a blue moon, but for what I thought would be no stop action it was quite a shock.

The staff said that since it's been really hot that they become lethargic.

I guess it's only $40 so I will go back there again, maybe when it gets a bit more cooler.

I did read reports that you can go there one time and clean up and some times get bugger all.

Heres a pic of the mullet. I died pretty quickly after, was taken on Zman 3 inch Paddle in Bloodworm

1560650_10152141883321011_1948779065_n.jpg

Cheers Callum

I fished there only using live prawns that I had gathered up myself and we got barra after barra all day! Lost some monsters too!

Maybe try livies next time, cus i'd assume they get sick of pellets and lures.... Just a thought

Anthony

I've had that recommended too, but didn't take the opportunity to go down and cast some in the river. Next time I will, that way all bases will be covered.

What you experienced is pretty standard mate. The fish have been caught enough times to know what pellets to hit and which ones to leave for a less experienced fish to take. The trick is to use as lighter leader as possible.

They staff will also always come up with excuse on why the fish aren't biting. The hot weather should really do the opposite.

Like the others have said, live bait it the go. They don't seem to be able to resist a livie and you will catch plenty of fish.

What you experienced is pretty standard mate. The fish have been caught enough times to know what pellets to hit and which ones to leave for a less experienced fish to take. The trick is to use as lighter leader as possible.

They staff will also always come up with excuse on why the fish aren't biting. The hot weather should really do the opposite.

Like the others have said, live bait it the go. They don't seem to be able to resist a livie and you will catch plenty of fish.

Thanks mate, will defiantly have to give livies a go next time.

I was in the same boat mate a few months back. Managed to get one barra off a pellet around the 50-60cm mark....other than that it was dead. There's a bridge nearby the park and that's where you can catch a heap of livies. I was talking to a local and he said he only uses livies and would catch 10 or so barra in a session! He showed me pictures of 1m+ barras :cheer:

Archived