Got a new project!

Feral

well those of you who know me, know my other passion is car racing.

well my eldest son turns 12 in May, at which point he can get his first competition licence.

(Low speed club events only)

So he will be able to compete in motorkhana's.

I have just picked up a '89 GS102 daihatsu charade, racing Red, for him to compete in. (Still my car though!)Got it off a bloke I know in Rally circles, was his daughters Uni car, she has now flown the coup and car no longer needed.

Fuel injected 16 valve motor, 5 speed close ratio gearbox. These little fella's ran 65kw standard, and easily revved to 7500 rpm. All for only about 800kg kerb weight. Cost me $800 with full rego, extra set of rims and tyres (got alloys on it, no good for racing, so bloke threw in a set of steel rims with near new tyres)

At this stage I will be leaving it standard, but if the young fella likes it, I might put half a roll cage in it, and change it to competition registration (only $150 a year). Who knows when he gets older a full cage might go in.

Wont put any go fast bits on the motor, its done nearly 300,000k, and while still going strong uses a little oil, and goes quite fast enough thank you! When we took it for a drive, and patched it through 3rd gear at 90k, all I heard from the back seat was \"Crap\"!

damn mate that sounds good value for money what an absolute blast in that little rocket. i taught ylime the basics of driving in an old volvo auto in the back paddock when she couldnt even reach the peddals id sit her on my lap and do the peddals whilst she steared what a laugh in the mud at walking speed aka red line in second best 20 bucks i ever spent:woohoo:

chubbstar wrote:

I can guess what you're doing this Sunday Feral;) :woohoo: Bathurst :woohoo:

Gooooo the HoldensB)

Actually no mate, V8's bore me to tears. I'll be sleeping after the all nighter at Kooka tonight!

I was talking to a mate last night, top 30 cars within 3.5seconds, first bloke to the corner will probably still be in the lead 169 laps later to win it.

Bathurst has no character these days.

I used to be a holden fan, then I bought a Ford, and was amazed that engines could last more than 100,000 miles and diffs were not throw away items.

Then I bought a Toyota, and realised that not only is rust not compulsory, but I was never going to buy a ford or holden again!:P

Blasphemer! ;)

My first car was an X2 Holden (hows that for showing my age), progressed to HK ute, LX Torana hatchback, etc. Even my current 4X4 is a Holden.

However we won’t carry on with this line of discussion. After all our mothers did teach us never to discuss politics, religion or automobiles in good company didn’t they. B)

mate if you still had your old cars you would be sitting on some dough now specially the lx hatch.

Schultzy wrote:

Blasphemer! ;)

My first car was an X2 Holden (hows that for showing my age), progressed to HK ute, LX Torana hatchback, etc. Even my current 4X4 is a Holden.

However we won’t carry on with this line of discussion. After all our mothers did teach us never to discuss politics, religion or automobiles in good company didn’t they. B)

• 2 weeks later...

well went and picked up the new rig last night. Here are photo's as promised.

You'll notice I managed to get the original steel rims with rubber (cars got mags on it, no good for racing), as well as a spare gearbox.

There was also something in the back called a \"devastator\", more speakers than a political rally, apparently made in America bolt in noise maker, apparently makes a lot of noise, and bloke wanted it gone before his daughter had it moved to her new car.

R0010063.jpg

R0010064.jpg

R0010067.jpg

R0010066.jpg

Schultzy wrote:

Blasphemer! ;)

Holden Vs Ford :) Reminds of Shimano Vs Daiwa.

:laugh: :laugh: I read the part about noise maker and scrolled down, first pic with the hatch open I seen the big round things in the back:blink: holy shiot look at them woofers:ohmy: , Moved in to the screen for a better look,:blush: TYRES:blush:

My first car was a LC 4 door Torana, Made the same year I was born;) Loved the old girl, Had her for a long time and spent lots of $$$ on motors, gearboxs etc. Oh and lets not forget lots and lots of Diffs and Axles;) Ah boys and thier toys.

Jayson

Archived