Which type of fish finder

SomethinFishy

should I opt for? I go kayaking from time to time; and I would like to buy a decent fish finder. I didn't really need one; so far I was happy just to paddle or sit in the middle of the water :D but, my niece has recently joined me on my trips. She's studying Biology and wants to observe and follow some fish schools :) Anyway, I need a decent fish finder.

I have one more question - if I am to use it in these purposes, according to this site I stumbled across, it's better to go with the side imaging finder, right? Do you know any good ones?

Thanks guys, it means a lot to me :)

Side imaging is difficult to use on a yak, you will need to mount the transducer externally, it will not work through the hull - which is the normal way of mounting a sounder in a yak.

On my yak my sounder really is only to tell me the depth of the water, as I like to toss lures at structure, I'm not really interested in finding fish under the yak, but I use a lowrance 5x, one of the higher end grey scale units available at the time I bought it.

Much better units available now for a similar price. Recently got a lowrance HDI unit for about $400 on special for my boat (where I do want to see fish under it), that just made me realise that those old units really were only good for showing the depth of water!

Archived