maclaey island and logan river report

madmullet

left home at 4am boat in tow with the aim to catch a feed of prawns and muddies. left carbrook boat ramp at 5.30 and cast netted our way up the logan river, the hut, lone pine, marks rocks, prawn farm and the power lines. Dropped some pots in the mouth of the logan river on the bottom of the tide and then headed for Macleay island. we arrived at Macleay at around 10 and started cast netting. it was hard work with a incoming tide and a stiff 20 easterly funnelling between Macleay and Karragarra island in12-20m of water. we managed 4-5kg before I ripped all the sinkers of my 12ft net :( . we tried with Richards net for a while but the 10ft net just didn't cut it against the big tide. we called it quits and headed for the pots. we pulled all 8 and in each pot their was a mix of 5-12 crabs in each pot with some good bucks thrown in.

post-8878-144599037483_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144599037491_thumb.jpg

post-8878-144599037498_thumb.jpg

The crabs are nice bonus while prawning. Sorry to hear about the net, I hope it wasn't a custom one, but would still hurt no matter what.

Hoping to do a similar trip on Monday, Fingers crossed we can do as well as you, minus the net incident of course.

Cheers

Wayne

Archived