Brave the weather, Reap the rewards! Trip Report 23/08/14

Samrenny

It was with a total disregard for the weather forecast that my brother and I loaded up the Paj in the wet, determined not to let less than desirable winds and rain get in the way of our obsession. Setting out on our journey around midday, we began the long drive to our destination, with rain breaking on and off along the way. Freshwater fishing chasing our natives is what I love, so for me the more isolated, the better! Arriving at a family members property on dusk, we formed our plan of attack and set the alarms for an early start.

After scoping out a few spots, we eventually found a good place to launch the yaks and were met by chilly but beautiful conditions on the water at around 7:30am.

DSC_0170.jpg

Tying on an Impact tackle 1/2oz spinnerbait to my Gen black wild weasel, we began slow rolling them along the bottom of the 6m deep hole, a technique which had previously worked a treat. Billy managed a small bass this way, but after only getting a couple of half-hearted hits I thought I would try something new. Out came the Nordic stage Jaeger, only having been christened a few weeks ago at somerset with a nice 45cm yellowbelly. To say I was keen to further test its abilities was an understatement! I tied on a Jackall TN50 in HL Black...and boy, did that turn out to be the flavour of the day!

My first fish of the day came in the form of a small bass, nothing photo worthy but it was a first for me on the Jackalls. We decided to keep on moving, working our way into a tight but fairly shallow and timbered area with plenty of weed for the fish to hide in. I flicked the Jackall into a shaded deep spot amongst a heavily timbered root base, beginning the retrieve immediately as my lure hit the water. I wouldnt have cranked the reel more than a couple of times before I felt that familiar heavy, thudding hit as my rod doubled over. After a good struggle I had my main target and first photoworthy fish of the day, a dark, fat 43cm yella!

DSC_0549.jpg

It's worth noting here that the Jaeger was in its element, flicking smaller lures in tight structure is where these things belong!

By this time it had started drizzling, so out came the rain jackets as we moved further on to another very large hole, and in doing so I spotted a likely looking snag. On the third cast my lure was hammered by what would turn out to be the biggest bass of the day, a nice, fat 42cm model.

DSC_0175.jpg

After a nice photo and an attempt at an underwater release video, I headed back over to the same snag. First cast in and BANG, I actually let out a yell of surprise as my rod was absoloutely reefed over! Drag screaming from my reel, my heart was pumping as the fish fought violently to escape. After a very solid fight, I got my first glimpse of the fish...its a big bass! Wait, no...its a dark yellow? Nope...I was amazed to see that the fish was in fact a beautiful, greedy 43cm Silver Perch with eyes that were clearly too big for its head! This species is a first for me, and with how rare they have become I was absolutely wrapped to have caught one in the wild, let alone at that size and on a lure! I actually have to say that it was hands down the hardest hit from a Native that I have ever felt; these things hammer!

DSC_0180.jpg

Back in the water she went, and on we continued. After a couple of missed hits from a yellow and actually having one chase my Jackall and bump it on the surface, I gave the slow roll technique another crack, resulting in another little yellow at 38cm.

DSC_0554.jpg

Billy managed a nice healthy little bass on a new Tuckertime diver...greedy little bastards!

DSC_0184.jpg

A few smaller bass later we started to make our way back to our launch point, but in doing so I just couldn't fight the urge to go back to the snag I pulled the bass and the silver from earlier and give it another crack. On the third cast I felt my lure get engulfed...and then spat out. I quickly cast back out into the same spot, and sure enough I felt the poor TN get hammered yet again, but this time I was ready, loading up the Jaeger hard. Instantly I could tell it was a good fish, pulling hard and taking deep downward dives. I fought it to the surface as Billy swept in with the net, and after a couple of attempts another yellow was netted...well, half netted. Turns out we're going to need a bigger net for next time, as the big girl barely fit in with her tail still half out! Instantly I knew I had a new PB in my hands, a very fat, wild 48cm horse of a yella!

DSC_0565.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE these things! :woohoo:

We made our way back to the launch spot, and just as Billy got out of the water, quietly dirty that I was up 3-0 for the Goldens, I thought I'd just have one more cast...they say a picture paints a thousand words so... :P

DSC_0196.jpg

The count for the day:

Billy: 13 Bass (you know you're spoilt when thats an average day :P )

Me: 11 Bass, 4 Yellowbelly and 1 Silver perch (Including a new PB and another native species ticked off the list!)

To wrap it up, the new Nordic Stage Jaeger/Stradic ci4 1000 is well and truly worn in and the Jackall TN50 is looking beaten and abused, but worth its weight in gold! All in all an amazing day of doing what I love in a location I love; time to plan the next trip!

Cheers! ;)

Well done Sam and great days yakking.

The yellas seem to love the jackals, my favorite colors are peacock,black/purple, chatrues and a natural green color. Green was my go to lure for yellas and the cod don't mind them either. Definately upgrade rings and hooks if in cod country. Tea bagging the lures next to snags could fire them up if their not following out of the snags.

Catching a silver on lure is a great catch and boy don't they go hard? A pretty memorable day bagging a PB Yella as well.

Cheers fellas, definitely worth the effort. Thanks for the tip Wayne, will have to give that a go next time! Thought about trying it in some very tight structure but decided against it as I was using 6lb. I'll definitely give them a crack next time I'm in cod country.

Theyve become a favourite of mine too James, absolutely love them now! That one I used is looking pretty battered, teeth scuffs and chipped paint all over it...that's what you wanna see!

Archived