Motor idle for 3 years....ok to use?

yellahunter

Hey guys,

I havent used my boat in around 3 years and am finally in a position to do so

I have a 25hp motor thats 6 years old with minimal use and in near new condition. I did flush the motor last week and it seemed fine.

Can anyone tell me if its really risky to take it out without a service? I will have it serviced in the next week or so but was really looking forward to taking it out tomorrow..

Any ideas?

Just wanted to ask the question for those who are more mechanically minded... I mean is it likely i could do major damage by taking out without the service?

Any help appreciated,

Ben

Hey guys,

I havent used my boat in around 3 years and am finally in a position to do so

I have a 25hp motor thats 6 years old with minimal use and in near new condition. I did flush the motor last week and it seemed fine.

Can anyone tell me if its really risky to take it out without a service? I will have it serviced in the next week or so but was really looking forward to taking it out tomorrow..

Any ideas?

Just wanted to ask the question for those who are more mechanically minded... I mean is it likely i could do major damage by taking out without the service?

Any help appreciated,

Ben

You should not have any major issues.

I would definitely remove the plugs and check for any gum or rust on the electrodes.

Give them a wash in petrol and hit them with a wire brush to clean them up otherwise just replace them.

Remove and clean/replace any fuel filters and use new fuel.

Your only issue that I can see is maybe an impeller failure from sitting around unused so keep a close eye on the water tell tail all day when the motor is running.

Biggest risk is the impeller, they go hard and the lobes break off with age. Make sure it is pumping lots of water and watch it like a hawk.

Also I'd pull the plugs squirt a bit of oil down the bore and cycle it with no plugs in it myself, just to make sure its nice and free, but thats just me.

Thanks guys,

Im an amateur when it comes to motors. It started 2nd pull and i ran it for about 20mins with new fuel.

I can check the plugs but think its probably ok as it looks in great nick.

If it started so easily and purred away in neutral for that long do you think its worth worrying? The water was jetting out too as normal

Archived