Ryan - 1 Midgies 2000

ryanyoung

G'day All,

After getting the bug for jack fishing recently, I decided to head out and try my luck in one of my local creeks.

An early mark from work saw me at the ramp with an hour or so of light, and in no time I was rigged up ready to go.

post-5695-144599077203_thumb.jpg

The tide was ripping out, and coupled with a strong breeze blowing downstream, it made it pretty tough to hold any sort of position for the time it took to cast and retrieve.

The first snag I fished yielded a result straight up, as my crack-jack was smashed tight in cover. The fish missed the hooks though, and there was no further interest. At about this time, I noticed the midgies, they set to every bit of exposed skin and quickly made for an unbearable experience. I persevered however, and managed this fella a short time later on an Anthrax.....

post-5695-144599077191_thumb.jpg

I managed to get a bit further upstream before finally succumbing to the multitude of bites, and a frustration of epic proportions that accompanied the intense itchiness lol.

Although it was a bit of a dud trip, I'll be back there soon, albeit in trousers with several layers of bushmans.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Where are you based at the moment mate?

Angus

Hey 'Gus,

I'm still at Bulimba, although I'm posted at the end of the year to Canberra for three years. This is Bulimba Creek mate, not far from your place at the end of Fleming Road. I reckon I'm going to hit it again this arvo/evening, however launch near Wynnum Road. This time I will be bringing the long sleeves and the bushmans lol.

Yeah right that is cool! Is that where your other jack was? No need to answer that publically or at all.

Man Canberra will be interesting.

Hope to see some trout reports from you :)

Come for a visit for sure if there is time :)

Angus

Nah, the most recent jack was up near Tin Can Bay. This creek would have to hold them though. I'm looking forward to Canberra mate, I've already got some spots sussed out for big cod, and as for trout, I am itching to get a lighter wand.

There is nothing worse than mozzies and midges buzzing around you while fishing...

My Partner would have something to say there

Last time we got hit by midges she must have had a reaction. That was a about 3 weeks ago and see still has the bite marks.

i fish bulimba creek there at fleming rd a couple of times a week. was up there on sunday morn and lost 2 big flatties (around 60cm) lost both next to yak by spitting hooks, have caught jew, big catties and bullies up there too. further upstream are spots that really fire on the right tide. brest tip i can give is work the back eddies along the edge and down on the bottom as much as poss. hope this helps ezy

Archived