Barwon was OK, Tempest was better

melrichsin

I have almost got the "new" old boat set up and after some busy work weeks and blowy days off have decided to go out friday arvo- think I will head out to Barwon from Spinnaker/Bribie.

If anyone is heading out that way keep an eye out for a red/white CC 570 Explorer..., say hi

All going well I can get the lines tight and may put a report in!

post-10287-144599080767_thumb.jpg

Friday night was a good chance to see what the old girl does with a new beast on the back of it, not much for me to report but my buddy Steve out fished me for the 3rd (and maybe final) time pulling in a just legal Cobia and Amberjack so we both had a feed. We met up at Mooloolaba to shorten the trip out to 25 miles each way instead of the 40 miles from Bribie. The forecast was nice enough but a sloppy easterly kept us to a steady 18-20mph punch, this flattened out for the run back but by then it was 9.30pm so we were slow and steady over a following sea. No pictures from the Friday.

Sunday I took the wife out for an early start- of the 5 times out in the "new boat" it has always been with an extended crew to help with launch/retrieve etc. and some quality time with just the 2 of us together..

To set the scene my lovely wife is not a mug with a fishing rod and had actually trumped me for longest/largest keeper with a Gold Spot Cod of 114cm up in Townsville last year, I had some resistance to upgrade to a decent overhead (OKUMA Soltera 30II with a Wilson 8-24kg rod) but after Sunday's session I think I may have convinced her to get me another for Xmas.

We left home just after 4am and saw a full car park at Spinnaker, after a bit of concentration with Mel on the winch we set off across a smooth passage and into a flattish but busy bay towards Cape Moreton then Shallow Tempest.

Many a boat were anchored at Brennan so we watched out for any birdlife and headed to our desired location. Mel was quickly into some Fingermark that weren't worth opening the esky for. I got one that was just legal so set up a wire trace and set the hook through it's shoulders to swim around and get some action..... 20 minutes later the line is running but lost it on the strike, I got another livie shortly after and at about 7.45am the line was screaming!!

Mel cleared her line and I got her to start the new Mercury up and try to follow this beast we got her head turned and slowly got her closer to the surface- I saw a long slender body and didn't think it was a Spaniard, could this be my first kingi?

As we got it close to the boat I was anxious that Mel hadn't used a gaff before, I got her to hold and wind the last few metres to the boat while I leaned out for the gaff shot- the glorious beast was alongside the boat and after a deep breath from me I timed it to a nice hit through the chin then lifted this glorious beast on board.

1.25m Yellowtail Kingfish- to date my only King so obviously a new PB, but it is a great feeling to have this catch on a nice day out with the wife in our first boat. All the times in family and friends boat but to have worked and saved hard to get such a good old tub from the 1990 Cruise Craft 570 Explorer. I also have to put in a plug for Brisbane Marine after doing my research on best weight/price for a 150 four stroke and also shaft length Troy set up a raiser plate to put the 25 inch 150 3 litre Mercury on the back- so far I have been like a kid with a new toy so I haven't driven her too economically yet but 60 miles from 55 litres on both Friday night slops and Sunday's flat bay day have me really happy with my choice so far.

Happy fishing, cheers for reading

post-10287-144599082147_thumb.jpg

post-10287-144599082157_thumb.jpg

post-10287-144599082165_thumb.jpg

post-10287-144599082171_thumb.jpg

post-10287-144599082181_thumb.jpg

post-10287-144599082191_thumb.jpg

Archived