How to rig an Opera Trap

Feral

Well,

Decided to dig out the Opera traps to take to Awoonga.

I've got to old ones, and a couple of new ones, but none of them are rigged up.

Got my 2litre milk bottles ready to go, and 50lb mono for \"rope\" (just in case I want to have them bank tied).

But I need some advice from experienced users.

1. Where do you attach the line to the pot, so as to make sure nothing escapes when retrieving

2. The clamps to hold the trap closed look decidedly dodgy, particularly if there is a chance of snagging the trap on retrieval. I am thinking of using tie wire to hold it shut - any advice?

3. The old pots have the entry holes tied to each other so they point at each other (IE you can look right through the trap from one side to the other). The new pots have the entries tied down to the floor of the trap, and the redclaw or what ever will have to push there way through the slack netting. Which is best?

Also I found a great way of tagging the traps, vinyl \"test and tag\" tags - I am licensed to test and tag electrical equipment at work, so I used a handful of left over ones (different colour used every 3 months, never re-use the same colour) to mark the pots, using an indelible pen.

I tie a rope on the side where the handle is (and I use the old telcom rope} dont use mono cause sometimes you get snagged and mono wont hold up

The clips are very dodgey I use cheapo cable ties

depending what bait your useing cable ties work a treat there too

Gaz

Ta Gaz, I've got a swag of cable ties, did not even think of them.

I've been using 50lb mono for a few months on the shrimp traps, and I have actually pulled one flat (buckled it totally) pulling it out of the ricks at Kerwongbah without breaking the line. Dino put me on to using it, when your leaving them out and tied to the bank the mono is a lot less visible to the share farmers.

I did say near the handle not on it lol

and when deploying from the bank Feral hold handle and swing it like a discus throw the pot will land flat if you do it right ;)

best bait I found is bullocks liver or road kill the first is a tad more pleasant and cheap :woohoo:

Gaz

I wouldnt use the floppy opening ones they do not catch as well as the ones with rings in.

I also look for ones with the smaller rings the ones with 3inch rings allow the redclaw to escape.

You can modify the floppy opening ones to take rings about 2 1/2 inch rings that you make yourself but its a pain.

I always used to tie off the rope to the front of the pot when the pot is held open with a tag on the line about 1 ft long.

Then with the pot closed i would secure it with the tag tied through both frames.

The reason for tieing off on the front of the pot is that it is a lot easier to pull in if there is a lot of weed present or the pot is full of redclaw and also if the sharefarmers have opened your pot and chucked it back in open there is a chance if there are any redclaw in the pot feeding they are thrown into the back of the pot whilst you are pulling it in.

I would also use a couple of cable ties to secure the front as this would then give an indication if sharefarmers were present.

Cheers

Ray

home brand pillies in aspic catfood work on muddies and sandies but had no or little joy on redclaws southern cousins Yabbies

Gaz

a trick I learn't years ago I think it would be the same on redclaw

If they have big claws rip them off and put aside

then twist the tail off the body if you feel bad about doing it to a live one put them on ice for awhile and they will go to sleep

they have 3 fins on the tail grab the middle one and wiggle it as you pull

the vein with all the crap will come out

rince the tail in fresh water and boil with the big claws :woohoo: :woohoo: no muddy taste or grit just pure pleasure to eat :)

and by the way throw the unused bits back in to attract more tomorrow ;)

Gaz

Archived