Surface action at Hinz

helibase

I took my yak to the eastern arm of Hinz Dam last Saturday morning in search of bass and saratoga.

Being my first time there in a yak, I loved exploring vast array of timber lined banks.

post-12546-144599105221_thumb.jpeg

post-12546-14459910523_thumb.jpeg

After 30 minutes of endless casting, I finally caught my first bass of the morning with a megabass dog-x Jr. He put up a good fight and saved me from a donut that was lingering in the back of my mind.

post-12546-144599105238_thumb.jpeg

After another hour of cast after cast in tranquil, timbered, waters, my heart almost skipped a beat when my surface lure was engulfed by an explosion of water. My excitement level went from almost dead asleep, to WIDE AWAKE instantly as my rod bent over and my little reel started to scream. With my heart racing and my yak almost capsizing, I managed to pull the fish out of two trees and into open water next to my yak.

It still took a bit of time and lots of power to bring the fish to the surface. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a solid, massive hunk of bass coming up from the depths.

I netted the fish and savoured the moment. I removed the dog-x Jr and placed the fish on the truth mat between my legs. After getting it all flat and straighten out, it went 51cm – my new PB.

post-12546-144599105247_thumb.jpeg

post-12546-144599105254_thumb.jpg

post-12546-144599105263_thumb.jpeg

This fish was in perfect condition and was really thick between the shoulders. After a few awkward photos with my iPhone self-timer, I released it.

Riding the high of my last catch, I continued to throw the dog-x Jr for the next hour… with no strikes. I then swapped to a 76mm bent minnow. After a couple of enquiries by eager kingfishers, I finally came to an area that just seemed fishy.

I sent the bent minnow on a wayward trajectory towards the steep bank. I worked the lure just below the surface with fast twitches and short pauses. This must have been the winning combination, as the surface of the water exploded again with a fierce strike.

post-12546-144599105271_thumb.jpeg

After a tough fight in heavy timbered water, I was rewarded with a 46cm bass. After a few more photos and sighs of relief, I released the fish to fight another day.

post-12546-144599105277_thumb.jpeg

post-12546-144599105285_thumb.jpeg

post-12546-144599105293_thumb.jpeg

I fished on for another hour with no luck and decided to call it a day.

Although it was a slow day, 3 fish in 3.5 hours, I am still frothing from those surface strikes…

Ian

Nice work mate! Hinze is my home waterway and i try and get out there at least once a week, nothing better than pushing your craft deep into the timber then extracting big bass from there home, i swear hinze bass fight harder too! Be mindful of the falling branches, ive had a couple of near misses and another member on here Ray has had a close call as well.

Thanks for the report, Glenn.

Archived