Hinze Dam - My Local

Glenn S

G'day Guys, this is the third time i've tried putting this post up so fingers crossed it works!

Just a quick introduction to myself, My name is Glenn and you may have seen me post a comment here and there over the years but i rarely if ever put a post up. I have been targeting fish on lures over the past 5 years or so and have predominantly been targeting bass in Hinze Dam for the past couple of years, I try and get out there at least once a week or twice if i can!

I have found Hinze can be very good to you on the right day and then the next you catch nothing, my longest donut spell was 7 sessions last year without a fish, but when they are on it is great fun!

I try and cover a lot of water when i fish and not stay in the one spot to long (unless i know the fish are there) as this gives me the best chance of catching them, To a beginner fisherman Hinze can be quite daunting, since the water has risen there is an insane amount of flooded timber to fish but if you pay close attention to your surroundings you can usually find a location to catch them, i find if i can get my boat right up to the back of bays and try to get a few casts at the bank that is usually a good way to target them, if i'm feeling like going for a mission i do the hour run to the top of the dam and fish the shallows, this is a great area to throw surface lures in the mornings and afternoons.

Hinze has plenty of fish stocked in it being Bass, Mary River Cod, Yellow Belly, Silver Perch, Saratoga, Freshwater Mullet and Banded Grunter (I've probably forgotten a lot) so there is plenty of species to target however bass will be your most common catch by.

I've had one cod encounter when a big Mary tried to eat a bass i caught but i know captures of these fish are quite rare. Saratoga are more commonly caught but from experience they are very hard to keep a hook in. Yellowbelly are there and willing to eat but i don't believe they have as many numbers as bass and are caught less often on lures.

Anyway that's a bit of a run down on Hinze, be mindful though you need a special license to fish there. I buy my permit from Sportys Fishing in Bundall. Hinze is open 7 days a week fom 6am-6pm so why not get out there and nail a few!

Here's a few pictures from the past year or so

post-9101-144599105898_thumb.jpeg

post-9101-144599105856_thumb.jpg

post-9101-144599105864_thumb.jpg

post-9101-144599105872_thumb.jpg

post-9101-144599105881_thumb.jpg

post-9101-144599105889_thumb.jpeg

Cheers, Glenn

Archived