A Day Of Misfortunes

bersim

I'd been planning a session back up to Borumba for a while now and decided to head up there and try for a toga yesterday.  So with toga on the mind we got up early and made the long 2 hour drive up to the dam.  When we got there we were so pumped about catching one and we were really on a high... well that was until we saw the signs saying the dam was closed due to water quality :bye:.  To say I was frustrated was an understatement but I really should have checked to make sure it was open before driving up!  A good lesson learned and something that will always be the first priority before even planning a trip up there.  

Anyway after cooling down about that and thinking about where to fish around Borumba, I thought about Angus' report on the Noosa Everglades.  So seeing as we were only 45 minutes away from Noosa we thought why not head up there and spend the day fishing for bass, tarpon and jacks.  We arrived at Lake C pretty late in the morning so the prime bite time was well and truly gone, but we still decided to explore up the river fishing.  Being our first time up there we were amazed at how awesome it is there!  Such great snags, and what an abundance of fish life!  There were bait balls everywhere, probably the reason why we saw a jack cruising by a large log.  

It was really good fishing new water and seeing how we could go working it out.  After beginning fishing and Dad calling out "not feeling too confident here" I heard his stradic scream off with a solid fish!  Love it when that happens :fishing2:.  

IMG_5236.thumb.jpg.77bd0d73d2c35e68cc1b9

IMG_5240.thumb.jpg.4b8a2496614929524a696

After that fish it went quiet for a bit and we could feel the hot sun burning into us.  Decided to move on a bit and try and find a more shady stretch of water.  This wasn't too easy to find but we did get to some great snags and fished them for a fair while.  As we were there so late it made catching them a real challenge as all casts had to be flicked underneath the logs and behind structure.  Right where most people wouldn't be throwing their lures!  It was the only place that we could hook up though as they were buried deep in their snags to hide from the sun.  

As you can see this was a fluoro pink zman but it has been used so much in my dirty creeks that it is now orange!  

IMG_5250.thumb.jpg.301e5be9b50d8906acd05

IMG_5255.thumb.jpg.423cd9e367d026cbe8d50

There were also a few tarpon about but we didn't manage to land any of them.  Considering the time of day I was pretty happy that we managed a number of bass on surface as well as some on divers.  The water was so dark and very different to anywhere that I usually fish!  Definitely going to be coming back again!

IMG_5263.thumb.jpg.111df8f53e6da66fe7591

IMG_5266.thumb.jpg.812609f3e27d6741a2dac

James

Better than donut. it always pays to check seq water website particularly in warmer months.

http://www.seqwater.com.au/recreation/recreation-and-safety-notices

They do also post on Sweetwater site but usually a day or 2 late. Borumba,Aitkensons,Claredon and Dwyer currently closed due to blue green algae and wouldnt be surprised to see Baroon pocket to follow fairly soon.

Cheers

Ray

Haha yeah my bad not the Noosa Everglades but Kin Kin :) @Angus.  Great looking place to fish.  Decided to head up there as it looked cool and we accidentally ended up there due to all the lily pads.  Got it worked out how to get through for next time though!  

Thanks @samsteele115.  Great feeling getting fish from plan B and also having a good day up there.  Would have been devastated if we had to come straight home.  Yep never caught a tarpon but the GH basically looks to same :lol:.

Thanks for that Ray @rayke1938.  We checked that when we saw the signs saying it was closed but wasn't too helpful then!  Not going to be falling for that again though!  Quite annoying... especially when we saw an empty trailer there from someone who had gone in anyway!

James

Archived