A Few Reports Plus Beast Pb Upgrade!

RUSSIAN

Hey guys,

Apologies for not posting these here earlier, I have been both slack and busy while transitioning into Uni. Pretty stoked to see UQ have a fishing club now although as it’s just starting up, it seems that most fishos are inexperienced so I’ll be having a crack at being president in the next few years.

Anyways, with regards to the fishing… A super long holiday from November until late February would suggest I really got stuck into it, but I only managed to get out a few times.

Mostly concentrating my efforts around the Tweed area, I tried both offshore and in the river a couple of times. One really blowy day (in excess of 30 knots) I decided to head down with dad to try and kill some time. Although the fishing was extremely slow and finding sheltered spots wasn’t easy. Managed to snag a few little flathead on plastics which was a nice added bonus.

Went down a few weeks later with the family for a nice holiday. Monday was the pick and Dad and I decided to head outside early. The bait grounds weren’t flickering with too much bait, although we managed around 7 yakkas and saw a free jumper steam up behind us which was awesome to see! Decided to head up towards goldy and trolled lures and within 10 minutes one of the skirts had been smashed and to my surprise, we had hooked up to our first black! However, 10 seconds later he spat the lure and that was that. Sad but a fishing reality so I’m still yet to land a black on the tinny. A few hours later the shotgun got obliterated and I let dad take this one as he hadn’t caught a decent fish in a while. After around 10 minutes on light spin, he managed to get a dollie just under 1.3m which was nice! Continued to persist and concentrate our efforts around some fishy looking highways but nothing else turned up so we headed home after the turn of the tide.  

Just last week, I went down the coast with 2 of my mates and dad let us take the boat which was kind of him! Camped at the Hacenda for 3 nights. Fishing was slow and tough yet again, with howling wind gusts and rain for a couple of days. Fished hard most of the days for a few legal flatties in the 40cm range and a couple of little bream all on lures. However, one tide turn my luck changed and I had hooked up to something that had some real weight! After a solid 5 or so minute fight in light tackle up came the biggest flathead I had ever encountered! The girl was netted and she went 81cm! A huge pb upgrade from 63 which I caught around 5 years ago! A few happy snaps and she went off swimming which was golden to see. The boys were pretty fired up after that one but the wind was extremely tough to challenge and we were losing a fighting battle. Tried endlessly for jacks the entire weekend as well for no success. I put it down to the wind and sudden drop in temperature so I still haven’t cracked my first red dog but I can feel it’s coming.

Anyways guys thanks for reading and sorry for blabbering on. Here are a few pics which still get me excited when I look at them. These fish won’t be forgotten for a while.

Cheers

Anthony

Wind was up so worked hard to get a couple like this

DSC_0366.thumb.JPG.e8244e7ea3df4ee4de9c6

Dad was pretty happy to get this one. Trying to teach him to throw rubber

DSC_0372.thumb.JPG.c047799c5f493a84fa2ee

Dad was pretty stoked to get this dollie after we dropped the marlin

DSC_0393.thumb.JPG.dd12e471c21d3ee2c383a

I've always gotta have a hold too!

DSC_0389.thumb.JPG.2078bcfd15cb70925ac60

Managed to brave the weather to get my mates onto a few of these pan sized models

IMG_4602.thumb.JPG.5d76ad1aa1fad3d795be3

IMG_4631.thumb.JPG.efe3d39314e23a1b669c3

Couldn't be happier to have caught this croc! Sorry for the poor brag mat shot, she went 81cm which smashed my old 63cm pb!

IMG_4651.thumb.JPG.799d4c1b9c2db76d5fd44

Absolutely over the moon! 

IMG_4673.thumb.JPG.7f6467202335c272f8b73

Thanks for looking fellas

• 3 weeks later...

So good to see you achieve a PB.

Some nice fish landed and a pity on the black getting away, 

Dollies are a favourite of mine with spectacular colours, Aerobics and top eating.

good luck with running for president of UQ fishing club:)

18 hours ago, Luvit said:

So good to see you achieve a PB.

Some nice fish landed and a pity on the black getting away, 

Dollies are a favourite of mine with spectacular colours, Aerobics and top eating.

good luck with running for president of UQ fishing club:)

Thanks you for the kind words! The dollies go hard too which make them an excellent sport fish!

12 hours ago, Tybo said:

I'm at UQ this year too, and noticed at O week that despite there being a Doctor Who and poetry club, there was no fishing club. I'll be happy to join also, will look into it. 

The club is yet to be official. Like their Facebook page and you'll get all the deets

Archived