Fact Or Superstition...

timtam_

G'day ladies

Went for a good old walk at NPD yesterday arvo. Long story short... no fish. 

I use ebay blades and sometimes TT spinners, and I've been told that gold and purple are go-to bass colours (which i dismissed at a rumor). Anywho, the only bass I've caught on lure to date was a gold blade, and yesterday, hooked up to a very, very decent fish which promptly ran into the sticks and popped me off like nothing ever happened... ON A GOLD BLADE.

My question - Do people have their own favourites or will they opt for standard colours which supposedly are the go-to for their target species? (purple and gold for bass) etc.  

I know that all my blades will be getting a lick of gold or purple paint ;)

Tim

To be honest I don't really care what colour I use.  Most of the time if the bass are there and they see a lure go past they will hit it. I often see myself going through the lure box trying to find a different colour that would look cool in a photo haha.  However they do sometimes like certain colours so I usually try a selection and see what they want.  

A few years back when we were walking the banks regularly I used to start off early with black and red, then dark purple, then light purple, then light blue and white, or a plain white. Then in the afternoon you reverse this. Lately we have had success with green and light brown any time of the day.

As far as getting bricked, you need a good 6 to 10lb rod with 15 to 20lb braid on it. This saves you getting bricked and saves you a lot of dollars  on lost lures, you will still lose some but not as many.:lol:

Dino

@Dinodadog, that makes my 3-5kg rod with 8lb braid and 6lb leader feel a bit inadequate... I'll be ordering a couple more ebay lures anyhow. Interesting about colours too, I wonder what changes their mind about colour and why all bass seem to change at the same time. Browny gold should always be a good colour considering the colour of shrimp and bony bream.

Tim

Rod sounds OK just need heavier line and leader just in case you get a yella or a big bass as they are not as easy as when in a boat, you have to fight them in amongst the sticks. Brown and gold is a good color as well specially for yellas. Color changes I mentioned were for the changing light conditions during the day. Early morning dark lures going into  lighter colors as the sun comes up.

Dino

I pick lures similar to your thoughts Dino, with fresh water fish I've had more success with Gold blades probably because 95% of the spinner baits I have are Gold blade. Because of the dirty water we use to fish in Victoria.

Depending on how aggressive the fish are; meaning if they hitting only when the lure is deep in snags or if they are following the lures out and hunting them down. 

I go to natural subtle presentations greens in silent if they are shut down deep in the snags. If they are aggressive and following the lure out, I change to rattles and bright in your face colors.

This will depend on what the Barometer is doing. This is what I was taught from a very experience fresh water lure charter operator that I hired 4 times. He would know more than i'll ever know about fresh water fishing.

Archived