Baitcasters

Cavey

I'm looking at buying a new baitcast reel. The one's I have in mind are the Diawa Tatula Type R CT or the ABU REVO 3 Inshore. I will be using it on a 6' 6" 10-16lb rod and spooled with 20lb braid. it will be used for throwing soft plastics at Jack or GT's mostly in the 40-50cm range. Has anyone used one or both of these reels that can give me advice on which is the better reel. Both seem to be around the same price. Thanks.

Personally I am a daiwa fan, was almost tempted by an inshore a few years ago, the spec's were pretty awesome.

There is little variation in the reel market, if they are priced similarly you can bet they are very close in quality.

Looks like you have done you research pretty well, I'm sure you would find either reel an awesome bit of kit.

Thanks. Just been out and about looking at them both. Decided on the Tatula. I reckon you are right Binder, probably very little between them either way, I'm sure I won't regret buying the Diawa. Thanks for the offer Danielle. Yes, you do need a bit (lot) of patience when learning any of the overhead/baitcaster reels LOL.

On 06/08/2016 at 0:25 PM, Cavey said:

Thanks. Just been out and about looking at them both. Decided on the Tatula. I reckon you are right Binder, probably very little between them either way, I'm sure I won't regret buying the Diawa. Thanks for the offer Danielle. Yes, you do need a bit (lot) of patience when learning any of the overhead/baitcaster reels LOL.

Good move, have had the original Tatula for a couple of years now and recently bought a Tatula HLC, absolutely love them. I also have a couple of other brands which go alright, but not up to the same standard at the Daiwa IMO.

I bought the Tatula to replace a Curado that I had purchased only a couple months ago. I hadn't used a baitcaster for about 10 years and I thought the Curado would be a good one to get back into them again. Although I did enjoy using it, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be for the price ($219) hence looking for something a bit better. I was a bit apprehensive about buying another baitcaster and was really hoping that the Tatula would actually be better than the Curado and I wasn't blowing more money on a reel I wasn't happy with. I need not of been concerned, WOW!  Just WOW! Can't believe the Diawa is so much better for not much more money, wish I had bought the Tatula in the first place... and I haven't even caught a fish on it yet. I've only spent two 1hr sessions flicking lures around. It is just so smooth, from the drag, to casting, to just cranking in a lure. And it cast way further than I've ever got with a baitcaster. With a 3/8 jighead I'm getting nearly as far as I was with my Stradic 4000 on a 8' 6" spin rod! Seriously!

Sorry to waffle on, but I am just wrapped in this reel, can't wait for the Jacks to start showing up.

14 hours ago, Cavey said:

I bought the Tatula to replace a Curado that I had purchased only a couple months ago. I hadn't used a baitcaster for about 10 years and I thought the Curado would be a good one to get back into them again. Although I did enjoy using it, it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be for the price ($219) hence looking for something a bit better. I was a bit apprehensive about buying another baitcaster and was really hoping that the Tatula would actually be better than the Curado and I wasn't blowing more money on a reel I wasn't happy with. I need not of been concerned, WOW!  Just WOW! Can't believe the Diawa is so much better for not much more money, wish I had bought the Tatula in the first place... and I haven't even caught a fish on it yet. I've only spent two 1hr sessions flicking lures around. It is just so smooth, from the drag, to casting, to just cranking in a lure. And it cast way further than I've ever got with a baitcaster. With a 3/8 jighead I'm getting nearly as far as I was with my Stradic 4000 on a 8' 6" spin rod! Seriously!

Sorry to waffle on, but I am just wrapped in this reel, can't wait for the Jacks to start showing up.

That is pretty sweet. One of the reels I was eying off for png.

Archived