Bbq & Beers

Danielle

Christmas is fast approaching and thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone would be keen for an end of year get together... Things start getting pretty crazy soon and people get booked out in the lead up to Christmas so if anyone is interested Im happy to get involved with planning!

Would you prefer to chip in $20 for the event to be catered and any profits can go back into AFO? Meats, Salads & Rolls/Bread.

I'm happy to do the shopping & prepare a variety of salads etc.

Or would you rather BYO? Or like @angus said choose fish & chips if you feel like it.

image.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Luvit said:

I think if you make a commitment to pay money up front then you will make every effort to get there.

Agree, but I am happy to go along with whatever happens and wherever it happens.

My two cents on the organising -
After watching these sort of events happen for the past 10 years, the 1st thing to sort is the date then the 2nd is where, then the details can follow.

Using the Poll facility you can get an idea (only from those that want to come) from proposing 2 or 3 dates and maybe then 2 or 3 places.

Angus can probably offer more or better advice as he has organised most of them. :)

What about...

Sunday 4th December

Time: 12 noon

Lota waterfront.

$20 catering + byo drinks.

Money paid directly to Danielle by (date TBA).

In my experience it is best to just lock it in. Some will miss out but some will anyway and this avoids weeks of backwards and forwards. It also avoids percieved favortism/politics by not choosing someones dates. 

If we get a good response we can make a new thread.

If there is interest we could even combine it with a swap meet.

Angus

Great minds @Angus was thinking a swap meet too and @madmic could bring along some stock for sale as well as the young fella who is making lures!  

Perhaps even another comp in the month to lead up and winner announced on the day. Something that restricts no one... Mens, Ladies, Junior for example.

That date and venue works for me!  Also I could create a fb event if you were happy for me to do so.

Bit late to this one guys... Are we not a fishing/boating forum? Why not think about an island like Wavebreak or Millionaires row at the pin. Plenty of awesome beach to setup on. With the amount of boat owners on here, we could get everyone to a spot? I can take 5 people with me.

1 hour ago, Angus said:

What about...

Sunday 4th December

Time: 12 noon

Lota waterfront.

$20 catering + byo drinks.

Money paid directly to Danielle by (date TBA).

In my experience it is best to just lock it in. Some will miss out but some will anyway and this avoids weeks of backwards and forwards. It also avoids percieved favortism/politics by not choosing someones dates. 

If we get a good response we can make a new thread.

If there is interest we could even combine it with a swap meet.

Angus

Happy with all that, except I'll be in Melbourne for my work break up so won't be able to make it. Sorry! 

@demarc I thought about that, even somewhere close like Coochi but we'd have to lug a BBQ and food with us. Plus wanting children to be welcome and we'd need enough life jackets for them too.  

Its an excellent idea and I'm certainly not ruling it out and if you think the logistics can be worked out (ie of someone has a portable BBQ, enough room and child friendly) and enough people support the idea then there is no reason why not.

I do hope to see as MANY of you as possible!! Even outoftowners!!  This is such a unique site in that people are genuinely interested in what others have to say, full of encouragement and meeting in person regularly (probably so good because there aren't many girls who no doubt always cause a drama!)

I'd love to also see partners and lots of tiny budding fisher kinder!! @Angus desperate for a snuggle with Bub too!!

So c'mon get involved & we can make this happen!!

Danielle's informative picture of the day is attached.  I've spent a fair whack of time in hospital over the past few years and as a natural problem solver I thought I'd share my invention of how to keep Coke fizzy whilst institutionalised... Can also be used when flies are rife, on a boat or between catches.  You saw it here first!

image.jpeg

I will try and fit in as not up for huge organization at the moment. 4th dec is good for me after that chockers. I prob won't get a leave pass for a big day of festivities either with the baby but I will work in if I can. 

Once again my only advice is someone take reigns lock it in and roll. Otherwise it becomes 10 ideas and then 0.

Too many good replies to hit 'Like this' for all of them ..... :) Given that out of everyone who has replied so far only one (@Luvit) cannot make the 4th, I'd go with that (I'm sure Wayne will understand). Agree that Lota is a great spot - plenty of spots nearby for a fish before/after if people wanted. I'm happy to chip in $20 for catering - may be worth a quick poll of people attending to see if they'd prefer that or just a BBQ. Or go the catering but to not exclude people (Xmas time gets expensive) make it clear that all are welcome and they can just pop in, bring their own food/BBQ/fish n chips if they'd prefer.  The main outcome being that we all catch up.

If we go Lota I'm in Murarrie so will touch base prior @Danielle to see if we need eskies, ice, etc. Looking forward to catching up with some old faces (@ellicat and @Old Scaley) and meeting some new ones :)

19 hours ago, demarc said:

Bit late to this one guys... Are we not a fishing/boating forum? Why not think about an island like Wavebreak or Millionaires row at the pin. Plenty of awesome beach to setup on. With the amount of boat owners on here, we could get everyone to a spot? I can take 5 people with me.

Demarc I wholeheartedly agree with this in theory but also have a strong belief in making it as easy as possible.

The purpose of the Christmas parties in the past has simply to bring members together face to face.

Regardless of venue this has always had a fantastic flow on effect in the forum later on benefiting the site as a fishing and boating community.

If we could get enough boats etc together awesome.

I think a date needs to be locked in and then development can occur. 

Yeah I was going to reply with the same thoughts RE a Wavebreak or similar trip @Angus  Perhaps February-ish @demarc we could plan a good old fashioned AFO Wavebreak trip for old time sake. Good chance to show some newbies the ropes and for them to learn some great tips (and see some great antics .... :whistle:) from the likes of @tugger, @mick fillet, etc ...... ;)

Perfect destination as it allows flexibility - some may want to take Friday off and get there early, some just stay Sat night and others again may just want to pop in for part of the day to say g'day.

I'll give Mark a call at some stage and gauge his interest/availability in leading the 'processions' ....

On 10/14/2016 at 9:35 AM, Angus said:

Demarc I wholeheartedly agree with this in theory but also have a strong belief in making it as easy as possible.

The purpose of the Christmas parties in the past has simply to bring members together face to face.

Regardless of venue this has always had a fantastic flow on effect in the forum later on benefiting the site as a fishing and boating community.

If we could get enough boats etc together awesome.

I think a date needs to be locked in and then development can occur. 

We were actually talking bout this last weekend camping. We were thinking of doing a Blakesleys trip next, haven't been there since I first joined this site many many moons ago.

Yeah we could go there and everyone could help me skull-drag my tinny back to the water at low tide for old times sake ........ :whistle: I've been trying to organise a camping trip with my tinny with myself, Dad, my brother and my oldest son (almost 5yrs) Liam. We were meant to to go Wavebreak this time last year but Liam got sick. Am thinking Blakesley's would be an easier option due to less travel time, although it is further by boat so would just need to pick the weather.

Archived