Choosing The Right Weight And Hook Size For Your Jig Head

Gerty

Hey AFO

I'm wanting to update my jig head collection but I'm wanting to avoid any unnecessary buys. I mostly fish in the brisbane area and I just want to have a good selection of weight and hook sizes for the appropriate conditions and fish species.

If you had to choose like 3-5 different jig heads for the below 3 species What weight and hook size would you go for.

Bream

Flathead 

Bass

Thanks in advance

your bass and flathead can take some fairly large sized hooks

depends on your location too. chasing bream against pontoons youd want a very light jig head so when your plastic sinks, if floats ever so slowly past the bream. 1/24th weight or lighter

if you wanted to get cheeky, you could buy various sized hooks, and attach split shot sinkers to them to suit your location.

• 2 weeks later...

A while back I bought a bream/finesse jig head pack from BCF, I'm pretty sure they are still available! with bream the lighter you can go the better!! and they come in a small box that will fit into the bottom of your tackle box!

for flathead anywhere from 1/4 - 3/8 you want to be on the bottom!!! hook size anywhere from a 2/0-4/0

As for bass, i use a worm offset style of hook with a small ball sinker rigged weedless, as most times chasing bass in some pretty snaggy country and the conventional jig heads seem to get snagged a lot!! hook size ranges from 1/0 - 3/0 (tt also do the snakeheads style of jig heads this is much the same as the above mentioned weedless rig)

Good luck @Gerty

Cheers and tightlines!

Archived