Mary River Cod Stocking Wyaralong

rayke1938

Part of latest newsletter from LAFMA really great to see their dream coming to fruition. Cheers

Ray

LAFMA Members & Supporters,

LAFMA Update ...   1st December, 2016:-

Mary River Cod & Aust Bass fingerlings 2016

Our first lot of Mary River cod fingerlings arrived from Hanwood Hatchery last Saturday (26th Nov), thanks to the brood stock we helped collect from the Logan/Albert system. 2300 fingerlings were released in Wyaralong Dam with the help of Seqwater ranger Glinn and 1200 in total being released into Canungra Ck, upper Albert, upper Logan, Christmas Ck and Running Ck. On Monday 5th December, approx 3500 to 4000 MR cod from Darren Knowles of Hinternoosa Hatchery will arrive at Wyaralong Dam for distribution. We will have the use of the Seqwater boat plus another for the majority of the fingerling distribution. Kayakers are welcome to join in.

Saturday the 10th December should see the remainder of our order of cod fingerlings plus our 10000 bass fingerlings arrive from Hanwood hatchery at Wyaralong Dam. Helpers required to distribute bass/cod fingerlings. An email will be sent around to confirm the 10th December delivery when notified by Hanwood.

Carp/Tilapia Eradication Comp Wyaralong Dam - 2017

The date for the 2017 Carp/Tilapia Eradication  Comp is Saturday 18th March.  .  ...  The first meeting to organise the event was held at the Beaudesert RSL on Monday 10th October. Numbers in attendance were well down on previous meetings. Steven Micallef has advised that Dragon Kayaks is once again on board as our major sponsor. Could members please follow up with any previous sponsors or potential new sponsors they may be in contact with, to see if they will support us again in 2017.

Michael Undery has again volunteered to be the facilities coordinator, Wayne Scroggie is charge of parking, Jeff and Steven once again our official weigh masters/judges, Neil McNeil is our safety/first aid man and the BBQ will once again be looked after by Brian Backshall and his willing team of workers.

We will be looking for people on the day to assist with registration, raffle ticket sales etc etc. ... If you are able to assist in any way on the day, please advise Mark, Glenn or myself.

The next meeting will be held at the Beaudesert RSL some time in January 2017 ... I will advise by email in early January of the date and time

New SIPS regulations

Please note that the new SIPS regulations commenced as of July 1. Remember, you now need a Stocked Impoundment Permit (SIP) to fish Wyaralong. No money for Wyaralong Dam will be forthcoming until the distribution of funds for 2016/17 in the latter half of 2017. A working group is to be set up by fisheries to look at suggested new formulae for the distribution of SIP money. LAFMA member, Trevor Saunders, has been nominated by us to be part of that working group.

Don't forget that when you are talking to people and promoting the Carp/Tilapia Eradication Competition in March, remind them that if they are over 18, they need a Stocked Impoundment Permit to fish Wyaralong. Permits are available 'online' at DAF, or from Australia Post.

I enjoy this post. I always see the figures of fish going into dams (cod) but never really see the capture results. I love the idea of stocking those rivers though. Long, windy, plenty of habitat. Surely these could be exceptional fisheries in years to come.

Archived