The Last Couple Weeks

jon

Well it's been a while since I've reported anything due to business and laziness  I thought I'd do a combined report from my three week break over christmas. I got do do a decent amount of fishing over the break but my main goal was to get up to 1770 as I've been setting my boat up for the last few months just for this reason. I've put in new sounders did a rewire added new lighting and had a hardtop fabricated and installed along with trim tabs and clears. The weather gods didn't really allow to many windows for me to get up there along with other commitments. So the first few weeks were spent chasing mackerel with a few productive sessions in the bay and down the goldy 

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

So in between hot spotty bites we had a few productive sessions chasing prawns with my mates. My first session was a miss but with a bit of persistence after a couple more trips we had worked out when and where the prawns would fire. Buy the last couple of trips we were catching twenty litres between two of us in about two hours which I think is roughly about sixteen kilos of banana prawns. Gotta love fresh feed of local prawns and macks on the webber. With the bulk of it being given away to our families and firends

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

Next little adventure I had was two days camping down the pin with my mate and his dad. Very little fishing was done but a fair whack of drinking and crabbing were done. We had a great time sitting  around the camp fire eating crabs prawns and mackerel. I was quite surprised with how well we did on the crabs with a final tally of 14 bucks and about ten sandies from two or three pulls over two days. This was a good result considering this was only last week and the whole joint would have copped a pizzling over the holiday break

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

So with my holidays fast drawing to an end and still no trip up north the weather gods came around and gave me  window on Thursday Friday and Saturday. My mate hate to work Thursday and I had to go to work Sunday so the decision was made to leave Brisbane  around 10 pm Thursday and return just around 3 am Sunday morning. We had a few small issues with the trailer which we sorted but didn't end up leaving my place until around midnight. The plan was to be on the water at 5 as soon as there was enough water to cross the bar but we ended up launching about 7 or 8. After the 100 km steam out the first spot was done we hooked to a few nice trout and some parrot and pearlies. Headed wide chasing reds but only bagged one.( luckily it was me that caught it)

IMG_6906.JPG

IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6895.JPG

IMG_6902.JPG

We had planned to fish well into the night but the current made it almost pointless if with a big drift anchor we were struggling so we headed for some shelter at the reef and a hot cooked meal. We had an interesting night on anchor caused by big tides from the full moon waking up to waves breaking behind the boat and all of the half dozen boats who were anchored around us having taken off. Not the best but some good lessons were learnt. Up at 400am and straight into one of the hottest coral trout bites I have ever had. We literally had trout after Trout of good size coming on board until we had our three person bag of 21 trout. We added a few more bits and pieces with about fifty keepers between the three of us ( this may sound like a lot but by the time we fillet and cryvac and split be tween our three families and friends it get cleaned up bloody quick). All in all we had a great trip and we're headed towards the ramp much earlier than anticipated at about 1130 on Saturday. I was heaps happy with the boats performance after all the mods and we only used around 260 litres of fuel with 100 litres spare which was great. Any how that's my rant over hears a few more pics. Until next time I wet a line . Written on my phone so excuse the disjointed sentences and spelling

cheers sef

ps work today sucked so baaad after a great break

IMG_6940.JPG

IMG_6950.JPG

IMG_6961.JPG

IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6920.JPG

Just now, benno573 said:

Cracker sef... Thanks for posting it all. Awesome trip up to 1770 by the looks of the report.

Thanks Ben apart from the lack of reds it was probably one the best trips to date considering we normally stay two nights and this time we were only out for around 30 hours. Couldn't ask for a better end to my holidays

Sensational combined report Sef, looks like you had a fantastic holiday!!  One of those sandies looks HUGE!!  What's the deal with the dark coloured muddie amongst the cooked ones - it looks like part of it's nipper is red but the body is still dark brownish?

Great variety mate and looks like you sussed it all out well - great hauls of prawns!! I'm planning on getting a 12ft top pocket net soon - need to catch me some prawns!!  Some cracking fish from 1770 - bl00dy good sized pearlies and RTE's!!  Looks like your mate fished mostly/all plastics?

Don't suppose you could put a photo of your rig up sometime when you get a chance? I'm hoping to get a plate CC or possibly walkaround in 2-3 years so am keeping an eye on what's around.

7 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Sensational combined report Sef, looks like you had a fantastic holiday!!  One of those sandies looks HUGE!!  What's the deal with the dark coloured muddie amongst the cooked ones - it looks like part of it's nipper is red but the body is still dark brownish?

Great variety mate and looks like you sussed it all out well - great hauls of prawns!! I'm planning on getting a 12ft top pocket net soon - need to catch me some prawns!!  Some cracking fish from 1770 - bl00dy good sized pearlies and RTE's!!  Looks like your mate fished mostly/all plastics?

Don't suppose you could put a photo of your rig up sometime when you get a chance? I'm hoping to get a plate CC or possibly walkaround in 2-3 years so am keeping an eye on what's around.

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm not sure about the crab I was looking at that earlier. It's definitely uncooked it's possibly the reflection from esky or maybe it got too close to the fire.

if your keen on n chasing prawns now is the time to get into it as the season hasn't even got into full swing yet. If your going to buy a net don't waste your money on a bcf top pocket with sinkers. Save up and get a custom made net with chain weights. They will out prawn the generic top pockets by an enormous amount. There is a guy called Steve in Logan who does quality nets for about 300$ I can pm his number if interested. But when the prawns are thick the cost of the net is usually re cooperated in one or two trips

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Just awesome Sef, 

Many different skills required to collect such a variety of fish and crustaceans. 

Once I get myself sorted I'll head up to 1770 and if I have a fraction of your success I'll be happy. 

What size esky is that blue one?

Cheers Wayne that one is a 200 ltr box. We take up three eskies a 200 litre for the fish which is initially loaded with ice a 100 litre for for bait and food and any extra Ice and then a 30 litre esky which we continually top up with ice and cold drinks

2 hours ago, Angus said:

Man that is epic. Looking forward to having a catch up when I get a chance.

Are you away for work when the Blakesley's social is on.

I will try to give you another buzz later I have no idea what the issue with my phone was.

Angus

Would love to come along but unfortunately I'm working those dates

Archived