Christened The Boat

Luvit

A long winded report.

I was chaffing at the bit to get out fishing in the new boat, so on Wednesday I took the day off to beat every person and their dog going out on OZ day. The plan was to fish Wednesday then stay overnight on the boat before picking the family up at Bribe Island on Australia day morning and spend the rest of the day enjoying the bay.

The conditions were excellent on Wednesday and I headed wide to see what I could find. Found dolphins feeding on a bait ball and then saw a stingray fly through the bait that they had just balled up.

Wide was not working for me so I came in closer and saw some birds diving on bait. I stuck with the bait for a few hours and eventually I was rewarded. There were some good marks off the bait but no bites.

Marks.JPG

Caught a number of little Maori Cod.

Maori Cod.jpg

As I was sounding around the bait I saw some fish near the surface. Earlier in the day I had seen lots of Bat fish on the surface and thought these were more. However on closer inspection and a favorable drift it revealed them to be a dozen Cobia! Some monsters in a moungst them. Excitedly I quickly cast the trusty pink glow jerk shad out and one of the little rats got to it first. A PB for me at 75cm and legal.

75cm Cobia.JPG

A few small variety of fish to round out the day and then set the anchor for the night.

Night.JPG

Listen to some tunes and off to bed.

In the morning I got the call from Julie they were going to be at Bribie, so I headed back to pick them up. Luckily on the way over a few small splashes were spotted, so I could not drive past without a cast or two. Is was very nice to pick up 3 nice spotties in quick succession and lost another 2. Happy enough I continued on to pick up the family.

Spoty.JPGSpot 1.jpg

Esky.JPG

Forgive the product placement but I have a duty to take photos of the fish I catch on the Gobblers for promotion purposes.

Fishing was done and the family hoped a board and we headed straight for Tangalooma and found a couple of hundred other boats had the same idea. If was perfect over there but we moved to a less populated spot and did some snorkeling, swimming and lunching. I received the drone I ordered back in October last year and had a small fly of it along the beach. This will be awesome when I get some experience.

GW Front.jpg

GW 208.JPG

It was a great way to spend Australia day with the family and christen the boat with some fish.

I hope to do more of this with the family.

Dunno.JPG

Hey mate what's your connection to gobblers? I've seen them featured on a fishing show and always been keen to give one of their packs a go though I've never had much luck with anything outside of gulps. 

When you anchor overnight how do you set your anchor so you don't drift in the swing of the tide 

38 minutes ago, benno573 said:

Awesome @Luvit... Gotta love that!

Well done on the PB too, cobes go hard at any size, you weren't tempted to go back for another crack at one of the big suckers?

By the time I had landed the first the others left me as I drifted along with the  tide and I could not relocate them. They do pull hard. 

12 minutes ago, Cmaltby said:

Hey mate what's your connection to gobblers? I've seen them featured on a fishing show and always been keen to give one of their packs a go though I've never had much luck with anything outside of gulps. 

When you anchor overnight how do you set your anchor so you don't drift in the swing of the tide 

I was a long time customer of Gobbler lures before I was offered to be sponsored by them. 

Intially another AFO member Tunafreak said they were good for tuna. They certainly have been successful on the tuna but also many other species now that I use the more often.

Typically I use 1/2" TT head lock jigs heads with a 4.75cm jerk shads. Most of the colours work but pink glow or bubble gum and southern sky are my favourites. 

At the moment they are only available online www.gobbler.com.au

You can tell Andrew I sent you

3 minutes ago, aussie123 said:

Looks like an awesome first day out Wayne.

Shame I couldn't go with you, it would have been perfect out there.

Well done on the cobe, they are a great fish to catch and even better eating.

Thanks, a big fish would test your gear that's for sure. 

4 hours ago, Ovington said:

Awesome report and congrats on the pb cobe. Boat looks great too. I think you will find the last pic is of a type of snipe or bellowfish. I regularly find similar specimens in the stomach of marlin and tunas from outwide. 

Those bellowsfish were one of the main trawl trash species that I used to catch.

Just about every cuttlefish had them inside them, they are a favourite food for the cuttlies.

Archived