Pin Trip 11.02

benno573

a lot of my regular deckies appear to be out of action this weekend (one even was called a dope by his better half for asking the question... Bit harsh if you ask me). So after about 18 months of talking about it it's finally going to happen tomorrow. @kmcrosby78 and I are off on our inaugeral man-date - just the two of us - to check if Jacob indeed remains well. Launching at the leisurely hour of about 2pm (based on the tides), plan to have a bit of a troll, maybe a cuddle watching the full moon rise together and then smash some big whiting on the incoming tide into the night. And given the heat wave conditions there may be a few jumps into the water to cool off. Looking forward to it. 

Beat me to it @benno573 ...... I had a really clever report title all ready to go ....... ;)  The way our teething 2 year old George has behaved at bedtime the last 2 nights I'm surprised my wife hasn't changed her mind (although I'm not sure I've told her when I'll be home yet ....... :whistle:). Looking forward to a session with the 'Pin master' :)

My thread title WAS going to be 'Hot and Steamy Session with Benno' .........:no: but thankfully apart from getting a little sweaty pumping yabbies (apart from my issue with the rubber handle falling off continuously he hailed me as a 'slightly' better yabby pumper than @ellicat ...... ;))  it was a very comfortable day with a good breeze blowing (which was sometimes annoying but kept things cool). The outgoing tide had turned the main channel leading towards the bar into a pretty ugly site so it was nice to be in a bigger boat for a change and Benno did a great job navigating his way through the minefield of boaties who don't know their lefts from their rights ......

Unfortunately the fishing was a bit quiet, with Benno catching half of the stingrays of Jumpinpin so he could check up on their health and well-being ....... eventually he caught a decent one which told the whiting it was feed time and proceeded to land one average (for him .....) whiting and then a 37cm stonker (biggest I've witnessed but far from his 51cm PB - perennial overachiever!!).

There was a halt in proceedings for a while to fix a couple of lights (well, one as it turned out, the other one wasn't being cooperative) before one last move as the grunter had decided not to visit us :(. The last spot offered yet more stingrays including one very large one that gave Benno a great workout (to my glee ...), twice running 100m towards a tree snag in the middle of the channel before busting him off (pulling some serious drag in the process) before finally I caught one and we were allowed to go home. Oh also forgot to mention Benno's numerous catfish ...... :devil:

So a quiet session as far as desirable fish go but very enjoyable none-the-less. It was refreshing touring the Pin with someone who knows his way around, as opposed to me who drives the tiller steer in one hand and has an open Beacon to Beacon in the other in an attempt to not hit sandbanks ....... Had a great chat, confirmed my suspicion that his first name is in fact Ben .... (go figure ..) and no doubt we'll do it again soon, perhaps at Mud on plastics :)

Benno generously let me take the whiting home which impressed my boys no end (I was honest and let them know that Daddy didn't catch them which led to the inevitable 'why didn't you catch much Daddy' .......). Cheers for the deckie spot Benno!

2 hours ago,

and no doubt we'll do it again soon, perhaps at Mud on plastics :)

Actually, upon reflection, I may have made it onto Benno's 'never again list' after not only forgetting to pack the German smoked sausages and then being silly enough to mention them - there was tension in the boat ..... :whistle:  Benno, my wife found them on the floor beside her bags of swimming stuff at my parents place so I must have been a bit frazzled trying to fly out the door. Unfortunately, she put them into Dad's fridge rather than bringing them home so I may not see them again .....

George is getting good at posing with fish .... :)

589fd0dbc6651_Bennoswhiting(768x1024).thumb.jpg.1384fe08a5ed80092ec83c15873586a3.jpg

Yeah, wasn't the greatest trip I've ever had. Losing an hour or so of the prime tide mucking around with electronics is not ideal, first on water failure for me in about 5 years, so not that bad I guess.

haven't been pooned by a ray in a while so that was interesting. Must have been a big bugger.

despite his previous ramblings, @kmcrosby78 will be welcome back another day, have to try and bring home a better feed next time. Maybe tell the young fella they are much better filleted and cooked? image.thumb.jpg.e65b7fac1a279779782e26ce46a01621.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.aa9db6854bd9a268454d6006f16e3332.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.083ca87a86576b65a845440e64a15fb7.jpg

Archived