Venison For Blakesley's

Drop Bear

We had really enjoyed the venison from the last trip. So much so we have run out. Time to give my mate a call and head back to Kilcoy.

I rang my mate in and he had a bit of a scout. There has been some rain to the west of Kilcoy and he had seen a few deer hanging around. He reckons they will travel 30ks or so to get to good pasture. 

He checked with the property owner who was more than happy for us to get rid of deer from his crops. They are really building up in numbers up there. My mate believes there is a breeding population of more than 15,000 that increases every year. They are often seen in the streets of Kilcoy eating roses and pumpkins. These are feral animals.

We drove about 35 mins west and hit the dirt road then through a few gates until we entered a paddock that runs along Brisbane River. The grass was nearly shoulder height and there were only a few cows running in this paddock. There had been more recent rain than he had expected with lots of ground water around. This mixed with the long grass was going to make it quite a challenge to find them as they would be spread out. We saw on up on the hill but it was way too far away to get a bead on. More than 500m away.

A bit of a drive around and it was clear this wasn't going to be as easy as the last trip. 

It was getting dark and we saw a mob of 4 feeding in a gully. They saw us and were a bit spooked and headed off. A few whistles pulled them up and I picked one that looked good for the pot. 

Jade helped me field dress it and we skinned and cut it up at this house.

I now have a freeser full of amazing, free range Venison that has never been in a truck or a feed lot and was humanely and respectfully killed. I will be bringing a roast along to blakesley's and hope you will all enjoy it.

I have made an arrangement with my mate and if I give him $100 and a carton of Great Northern I can go anytime. $150 for a great little adventure and venison for months. Winning. :)

Thanks

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

We had really enjoyed the venison from the last trip. So much so we have run out. Time to give my mate a call and head back to Kilcoy.

I rang my mate in and he had a bit of a scout. There has been some rain to the west of Kilcoy and he had seen a few deer hanging around. He reckons they will travel 30ks or so to get to good pasture. 

He checked with the property owner who was more than happy for us to get rid of deer from his crops. They are really building up in numbers up there. My mate believes there is a breeding population of more than 15,000 that increases every year. They are often seen in the streets of Kilcoy eating roses and pumpkins. These are feral animals.

We drove about 35 mins west and hit the dirt road then through a few gates until we entered a paddock that runs along Brisbane River. The grass was nearly shoulder height and there were only a few cows running in this paddock. There had been more recent rain than he had expected with lots of ground water around. This mixed with the long grass was going to make it quite a challenge to find them as they would be spread out. We saw on up on the hill but it was way too far away to get a bead on. More than 500m away.

A bit of a drive around and it was clear this wasn't going to be as easy as the last trip. 

It was getting dark and we saw a mob of 4 feeding in a gully. They saw us and were a bit spooked and headed off. A few whistles pulled them up and I picked one that looked good for the pot. 

Jade helped me field dress it and we skinned and cut it up at this house.

I now have a freeser full of amazing, free range Venison that has never been in a truck or a feed lot and was humanely and respectfully killed. I will be bringing a roast along to blakesley's and hope you will all enjoy it.

I have made an arrangement with my mate and if I give him $100 and a carton of Great Northern I can go anytime. $150 for a great little adventure and venison for months. Winning. :)

Thanks

I love you ........ ;)

19 hours ago, Angus said:

Yeap. Great deal. I have an empty deep freeze at the moment. 

The Brisbane River up that way fishes ok as well for bass and yellas. 

I detect a weekend coming on :P

But def in the short term a freezer fill.

Angus

Would definitely be up for this.

Archived