Land Based Cairns

patrick3331

I wish I knew where to fish in Cairns. Perhaps one day I will get the chance to spend more time there. We did catch a stack of small prawns and small estuary fish at the campgrounds north of Mossman.

The big toothy water lizards up that way stopped me from exploring on foot too much :) 

Good luck. If you catch some stuff can you put some photo's and reports up here so we can read them?

Landbased I reckon the most easy and reliable is fishing the northern beaches for salmon and jewies.

Try southern end of Holloways beach. Pump yabbies' at the creek mouth, or throw castnet, but beware of stingers throwing the castnet off the beach at this time of year.

If you check some of my older posts I've put up info on landbased spots in Cairns, although I live in Singapore now so don't get to fish them anymore :(

15 hours ago, tiotony said:

Landbased I reckon the most easy and reliable is fishing the northern beaches for salmon and jewies.

Try southern end of Holloways beach. Pump yabbies' at the creek mouth, or throw castnet, but beware of stingers throwing the castnet off the beach at this time of year.

If you check some of my older posts I've put up info on landbased spots in Cairns, although I live in Singapore now so don't get to fish them anymore :(

fishing much up in Singapore?

1 hour ago, Do$tylz said:

fishing much up in Singapore?

I've given up fishing here Do$tylz, there's only a couple of payponds left open now and I don't really enjoy fishing them anyway- crowded, stinky water, and no feeling of being in nature.

Outside of payponds, there are very few 'fishing allowed' areas left in Singapore, as its very strictly regulated. You can still catch a fish but it takes more commitment and patience than I have; I have yet to get a single bite or even see someone else get a bite so I've given up. I get a fishing fix every time I go back to Aus for a break. 

However there is a thriving group of passionate fishos here, great bunch of guys and I think incredibly skilled anglers

2 hours ago, patrick3331 said:

Hey Tiotony,

Thank you very much for the reply! i had a bit of a look through your old posts and sussed out a few spots. ill give them a go. thanks again!

What part of Cairns are you in and how mobile are you? This could help me give some more specific ideas. There's not as many landbased options as SEQ as there's not as much landbased access to the water (unless you want to fight your way through jungle and mangrove swamp), but there's still a few options.

Just now, Do$tylz said:

that would suck pretty hard.

Do they have good stores and prices there at least?

Yeah pretty good stores and prices are a bit better than Aus.

Any gear I'm using when I'm back in Aus, I still buy in Aus anyway, just in case I pick up any local fishy rumours while I'm there :whistle:

19 minutes ago, patrick3331 said:

I live in Edmonton but i have a car so i can go anywhere really

Suggest join Cairns and FNQ fishing group on facebook

Seeing as you are south of Cairns and have a car. options close to you:

1. Take up sweetwater fishing, and get a suitable outfit. Go to Behana gorge (which is very close to you, past Pyramid mountain) for sooty and jungle perch fishing. Its pretty wild (and 'snakey') country though.

2. Drive to Brampston beach just south of you. take the dirt track heading north from the township (if you can get through- based on how much monsoon). When you reach the beach, catch whiting (just use some pipis from the beach), and use live whiting from the beach for tripletail/ barra etc. Or fillet and use strips at the creek mouth just north up the beach for jacks. Or just catch a feed of whiting from the beach. BE VERY WARY OF CROCODILES HERE.

3. Very close to you, have a look at the boat ramp on Chinaman creek just past Edmonton speedway. You can get to the water there without being eaten by a crocodile.

On ‎21‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, patrick3331 said:

haha, yeah best to keep clear of them ones!!

Im going to have a chat to the guys at tackleworld and see what they say. Then i guess ill start trying new places and techniques until i find something that works. Ill Let you know how i get on :)

I'm guessing you may be a local FNQ lad and know these areas anyway, because you said "them ones" instead of "those ones" LOL! :D 

Archived