Melbourne Cbd Ab. Exploration

Drop Bear

A mate of mine who has moved to Melbs is crook so I went down to see him last weekend. I clearly had to make the most of the crazy, start to school holidays, air fairs and took a rod and some free diving gear with me. My Brother and Sister both live in Melbs now. Brother Yuri is a wine maker and was able to wrestle the Sat night and Sunday off from vintage to come and have a flick and a flop.

Saturday night we went to the river just near the West Gate Bridge on Bay Trail Way under the power lines where he said he had seen some XXL snapper caught. There is supposed to be hot water pumped out there from a power station that attracts the Snaps as the water starts to get cold. We flicked soft plastics for about an hour with not a touch. Tried 4inch up to 6inch mostly paddle tails but they were just not interested or simply not there. There seems to be a lot of fishing pressure at this spot as the grubs had left a stack of rubbish including a pile of butts behind so we cleaned up the worst of it and went home fishless.

The next morning we headed to Williamstown in search of some Abalone and perhaps some Sea Urchin with Yuri and my Sister Sonya. I had purchased my fishing licence online the night before (they both have year ones) and checked the laws. There is a bag limit of 5 black lip Abalone per person and the black lips need to be at least 10cm in Port Philip Bay (its different all over the place including open seasons and size variations so please check local laws) and not from the inter tidal zone (must be more than 2m deep). Port Philip Bay is a no take zone for Green Lip Abalone but you can take up to 2 in other parts of Victoria (again please check local laws). I have never caught or eaten Abalone before. I have scrounged up a few Paua when Mrs Dropbear and I were in NZ a few years ago and they were great on the chew so was reallllly keen to get amongst it in Australia. 

Yuri had the drum on where to go. It is a pretty big place and I won't disclose his secret spot but he reckons anyone with a bit of experience snorkeling can find a spot if they put in a little bit of time and effort.

We got there about 8am to find a solid 10-15 knot southerly punching us in the face. None of us had wet suits... There was a coffee shop down the road that sold great breakfasts so we went there instead... no we didn't. The air temp was about 11oC or so... There was a fire going back at my Sisters house so we went there instead... no we didn't... Melbourne markets sell delicious pastries and German sausages and we would be able to buy Abalone there so we went there instead... no we didn't... Those things are made for softer folk than us brave souls... (Mrs Dropbear wants me to replace brave with stupid...) :) With the wind spitting the frigid waters in our faces we stripped down to board shorts and sun shirts, donned the snorkeling gear and the borrowed Abalone knives. There is a small set of stairs where we went in (some hint of location here) and we pushed into the frigid Port Philip Bay water with no thought for our own comfort... That last part about the thought of our own comfort may or may not be true...:whistle:

The clarity wasn't too bad considering the chop. We swam out until it was about 3m deep. I could just make out the bottom in the haze but could see weather or not it was rocky or sandy. Yuri told me the trick was to look for good vertical rock faces and cracks, they would be hiding in there. There were sea urchins everywhere and we all got a few spines in our fingers. It was a surprisingly short amount of time before I found my fist Ab. A quick measure showed it was undersized so I left it on the rock but it was great to see we were in the right spot. After a few duck dives I saw a beauty in a deep crevice. It was guarded by a few Urchins. I did a quick measure and it was well and truly legal so whisked it off the rock. The trick is to be quick. Get under and flick and they come off quickly with no real fuss but If you touch them or muck around and then try to remove them you will have a tough time at it. Because it was quite choppy and I had already spent a bit of time mucking around with the Urchins, holding on to the rocks in the surge and measuring it I didn't have time to pick it up. It had fallen between 2 large rocks. I took a breath and went back down but it was way too far in to reach. Sad face emoticon. It would be a much more pleasurable experience had I remembered gloves and had a wet suit. But with a wet suit you need a weight belt and my bag was already heavy so boardie clad and gloveless I carried on. 

Yuri had one in the bag already. A beauty. I had to catch up now!

I was spending too much time exploring under rocks and in the surge this was hard. I got pushed onto rocks (and urchins!) a few times. This made it hard to get much bottom time as I was worried about hanging on to the rocks too much. Yuri Lent me one of his gloves.

I soon saw an easy one to grab. It was on the side of a long crack quite exposed. It measured about 11cm and came off easily. I had my first. It was pretty easy after that. I spent less time poking into holes and more time swimming along the rocks close to the bottom and got my bag limit.

Yuri was cold, he isn't as... well insulated as I am... :whistle: and had to swim in. His blue quivering lips and chattering teeth showed he wasn't being a sissy... It was cold. Sonya was safe and warm back on dry land. 

I grabbed 6 Sea Urchins on the way back in. There is a bag and possession limit of 20 and they cant be taken in the intertidal zone in Port Philip Bay, but 6 would be enough for us to make sushi and a sauce to have with the Abalone. The place is riddled with them and they are so easy to grab. I would be keen to go there just for the Sea Urchins. 

So lunch was sorted. We cooked them 3 different ways. Sorry I didn't take any pics of the finished product. Yuri did them in butter garlic onion and kaffier lime leaves and also in a thai green curry with black fungus.

I cooked them more of a french way;

Slice abs thinly. Yuri hit them once with a meat mallet but other people tenderize them differently. This worked. 

Saute garlic and spring onions in butter till soft

Add abalone and fry hot for about 1 - 2 mins. 

Remove Abs and add a good amount of white wine and reduce until not much left. 

I added juice from 2 limes at this stage which was nice but you can skip this if you like.

Then add a small bottle of cream and reduce again. When about half of the cream is reduced I added the roe from about half of the Urchins. The roe sort of breaks up and as you reduce it more, it becomes part of the sauce. It has such a fantastic flavor and add great richness to the sauce. 

Then when the sauce is quite thick chuck the abs back in and flick through sauce and serve on some rice and have a glass of Yarra Valley Riesling... if you haven't already :whistle:.

Man this was good.

I will be back. I would love it if we got abalone in Brisvegus but its nice to have a place that you know you can get them on a trip. 

I will have to satisfy my selfish shellfish hungers with Quampies Cockles and Pippies. 

Thanks

Robbie

20170402_094208.jpg

20170402_100155.jpg

20170402_101132.jpg

20170402_101201.jpg

20170402_105253.jpg

983875_10155382886791807_5570131488890782092_n.jpg

Have the boys returned back to their usual spot or have you still got lumps behind your ears? 

Awesome feed though, can't wait to do the same in NZ later this year.

although reading the title thought you may have been down there working out if Melb abs are better than brisbane abs - you know there's laws against just standing outside a gym with a camera yeah? Ask @ellicat... He knows.

On 4/4/2017 at 5:13 PM, benno573 said:

Have the boys returned back to their usual spot or have you still got lumps behind your ears? 

all good now haha

Awesome feed though, can't wait to do the same in NZ later this year.

Yep Have done this and paua are awesome. 

s laws against just standing outside a gym with a camera yeah? Ask @ellicat... He knows.

Gold :)

Archived