Minn Kota Or Motor Guide

linc87

Hey guys, haven't been on the forum in a while but it is good to see it still going strong and even better to see you all still getting amongst the fish.

Since last visiting the site, I've received my new Lewis 590 cc. It's a dream to fish out of, but as with all boats... I 'need' to put some more money into it - in the form of an electric motor. 

So, I'm looking for good/bad experiences with electric motors. I'm going to be putting an 80lb on it this year and cannot decide what to go with. 

appreciate your insights.... 

cheers, linc.  

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2939.JPG

Having owned both I can probably offer a bit of insight.

I have found the MG to be quieter - especially the steering noise, and much more responsive to controls than the MK. Setting up the MG to work with a Lowrance HDS was dead easy and well worth the dollars. (MK will do similar with humminbird combo units)

The MK remote control has a display which enables you to see the speed setting of the motor /  spotlock/autopilot etc, and upon moving to the MG it was one feature I missed.  Now that I can see the speed etc. on the HDS it's no longer an issue.

I moved away from the MK as I'd owned 3 models, and all 3 had failed after 3 years or so. All of the faults were in the main board. I went to MG to see if they were a bit more reliable, but will admit I haven't owned my current Xi5 long enough to make a call on that.

For mine, the major  advantage of MG over MK is that it is very quiet in comparison, that said, I haven't used a new model MK recently..

I really don't think you'll be disappointed whichever you choose. They are both worth the money.

I highly recommend the motor guids, a good mate of mine has one and off shore it will hold its spot unless the current is ripping threw or the wind is strong. Been out in the bay fishing beacons with a bit of current and it held its spot the whole day

I had a water snake, good customer service but it failed 3 times in the first 12 months.

Went to a MK and found them worth the extra money and really wanted spot Lock. 

I went for the MK over the MG because when I fished in a persons boat that had a MG, every adjustment of the steering it beeped. Gave me the absolute sh.ts

That was a long time ago and they may not be the same with the current models.

Just my experiences.  

Very nice boat. 

1 hour ago, Terrova said:

I really don't think you'll be disappointed whichever you choose. They are both worth the money.

I currently own a Minn Kota i pilot and I love it, my old man owns a motor guide and he loves his so Im pretty sure that you can't go wrong no matter what way you go.

One thing I have noticed that the motor guide spot lock feature is a little more finely tuned than the Minn kota. Im not sure if motor guide has a quick release feature but I find mine very handy, I can remove mine and not worry too much about storing it in the sun and securing it is not a worry. 

Have you considered how you are going to mount it and battery location?

I guess you would be looking at one around 80lbs for a boat that size which means a 24volt system which means weight.

I stuck with a 55lb on my 5.3 sea jay and It holds ok in a breeze of about 10knots with no current, so it good for creeks and is ok for blue water but could do with more on occasions 

Keep in mind voltage drop over long distances etc you don't want to drill holes in unnecessary spots etc

hope this helps

Biggest issue is lack of service / dealers for motorguides. Very hard to find one.

Both are rapidly being overtaken by companies embracing new technology, and pricing far cheaper. If they dont get their fingers out they will be the boating worlds version of Kodak, a distant memory.

Minkota are supported by BLA and there are a few of those around

but you're right if the technology is not embraced and supported both will die a slow death and be a fishing legend just like the one that got away. How ever there is not much to choose from with electric motors 

20 hours ago, Binder said:

Biggest issue is lack of service / dealers for motorguides. Very hard to find one.

This is true.... On the northside, Redcliffe Marine 199a Elizabeth Street Clontarf are a dealer, and in my experience pretty decent guys.

another thing to consider is after warranty parts you can still get parts for a 1996 minnkota bad luck if your motorguide is more than   8 years old..

Strange thing is that both minnkota and motorguide are both imported by BLA. Bla have their own dedicated service section for Minnkota but with motorguide you have to rely on the expertise of your local dealer .if its out of warranty and the dealers mechanic is not competent the repair can cost a bomb if he diagnoses the wrong board.as electronic parts are not returnable.

cheers

ray

Hey guys, thanks for your opinions and cheers for the comments on the boat. 

You can get up under the gunwale to mount it through the anchor well, so no drama there. 

I will be putting an 80lb on it and actually think the boat will ride better with the batteries up in the bow giving the nose a bit more weight. 

It's a shame that navico have only made their lowrance line interface with the mg, because I have a simrad installed. Any idea if they are planning to get the simrads to connect in the future? If they are I will def go the motor guide. 

Archived