Secure Paid Parking

Cappuccino

Wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. We spend a few days at a time on our boat and when we come to NSW will be looking at a secure storage facility where we can leave our vehicle and trailer that isn't too far from a marina. or decent boat ramp. At least a short taxi ride if possible. Looking at places - Bribie Island or Brisbane coastal areas, Gold Coast in Qld and in NSW - Port Stephens, Lake Macquarie, Brisbane Water, Brooklyn/Hawkesbury, Pittwater and Sydney Harbour.  We have to be mindful of the route as our boat/trailer is over width on a tri axle... so the bigger easy to get to ramps with a jetty/pontoon are ideal. Are there any short term storage facilities where people leave their vehicles and trailers? Boat/ship yards that supply this service? What do others do that have large trailerable boats who go out on the water for a few days at a time?  Quite happy to pay the going rate for secure parking.... just unsure  if and where these facilities are located. 

Unfortunately the options are a little limited around Brisbane. Outside of the two mentioned above I do not know of any other secure areas. You may be able to have a chat to the moreton bay trailer boat club, wynnum manly yacht club or another yacht club in the area and see if they can help you out? They all have fairly secure yards (fences, locked gates etc) and the ramps are all pretty good, designed for launching yachts so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Just out of interest, what sort of boat and what do you tow it with?

Thanks Benno

We have just purchased a Four Winds Vista 258 and we have a Surtees Gamefisher 6.1 Hardtop... which we are selling and we are just going to use the Quinnie Renegade for fishing once we sell the Surtees.  Currently towing  with a Colorado but due to weight looking to upgrade to a Silverado or Ram.  Hence why we are looking for secure parking. :)

Also some of the storage companies that sell warehouse space will store boats and caravans in their secure yards as well. I have seen boats stored in the one at Burpengary which backs on to the highway northbound.

Also some boat clubs provide secure storage options for members of varying standards. Southport Yacht club and Moreton Bay trailer boat clubs spring to mind.

You will also need to be aware of when you can have a boat that big on the road. In Qld you will be limited in hours of operation, roads you can use, some holidays are excluded etc.

https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/busind/Heavyvehicles/guidepermits/form-26-special-use-trailers.pdf?la=en

Thanks Binder. Will check out some of the storage companies as well.

Yes, we have wide load signs, flags etc. And know about restrictions when travelling with a wide load. Bit of a pain when you want to teavel on a public holiday and cannot... but I figure it will mean we just have to spend more time on the water :) ... take another day or two off work so that we are not travelling on public holidays and busy holiday periods. 

If you don't have any luck at ramp locations (VMR's, Boat Clubs, etc) and are stuck, flick me a PM mate. My parents are on acreage about a 10 minute taxi ride from Manly Harbour in Brisbane and offer storage for vans and boats (and shipping containers - anything as long as the pay $ :)) and may be interested. Storage is at the back of their block and they have an electric gate at the roadside to secure the premises. I'm not sure if they'd be interested in a short-term arrangement but like I said, flick me a PM if you're stuck.  Good luck!

Rudy Maas at styglitz is another secure ramp. $15/day. Open to general public. This is where I leave from for o/nighters or longer. Has pontoons too although you have to watch your step.  

I don't reckon your car and trailer would fit in most boat ramp car parks. You'd have to split them up. :lol:

Archived