Two Virgins No More - Thanks Ray!

kmcrosby78

Had the pleasure of a much anticipated day on the water with Ray and his good mate Graham today, along with my 6yr old son Liam. Alarm was set for 4am and I thought I might be going solo as Liam took a bit of waking (had his bday party yesterday ......) but once awake he was bright as a button and eager to go.  Phew!! 

Met at the gate at 5:20 and before we knew it were busily pulling the shrimp traps to start the morning off. Fished the first spot for small bass, including me popping my cherry with my first ever bass, but Ray had bigger targets in his sights so onwards we went. Ray pulled a couple of yellowbelly in to Graham's pleasure, then at one of our last spots Ray put us onto a good school of mostly larger (in the 40's) bass. Along the way Liam (who took a while - he hasn't fished in a boat much yet, particularly in deeper water, so took a while to get used to flipping the bail, letting his sinker fall to the bottom, then winding in the slack and often bringing the bait up off the bottom to where the sounder was showing the fish to be) caught his first bass as well, and he was chuffed.

The school kept us busy (particularly me as for a while I was swapping rods with Liam, sorting his fish out while he dropped my line in, then repeating. We got a double hookup at one stage and both pulled two nice bass in.  We noticed our bait supply was starting to run low so I tied a blade on and gave it a try but to no avail - the school had seemed to move on so I'm hoping that was the reason and not my lack of school (I've only used blades once before).

Total tally for the day was 57 fish with 55 bass and 2 yellowbelly (not a single forkie - yay :)). I hadn't realised how far we had travelled so got an eye opener when we started heading back to the ramp. A huge thank you goes to Ray for the deckie spots and allowing us to share a morning fishing with him on the serene NPD, we had a great day out and Liam will be talking about it for a long time. His little brother George was a bit jealous when we picked him up from daycare this afternoon ...... (after we both had a LARGE sleep this arvo ;)).

5a2e7944d8488_Liam41cmBassDec2017NPD.jpeg.f3c820e91833afeff03f4219b70830f1.jpeg5a2e795bd1d82_LiamBassNPDDec2017.jpeg.12dce2f5173f4f811e0e4b545375c306.jpeg5a2e7976bff0c_Ray46cmbass.jpeg.c44222e8d1cf4bee0009e29913e48d6b.jpeg

Nice one mate. Great report. Very cool that you and Liam got your first bass together.

I hope you didn't spook them all for tomorrow ! :lol:

Also does this hat look familiar? 20171211_194800.thumb.jpg.fc6ad2c6977e104ea8922ac56cce3b83.jpg

It was found after the afo party. 

6 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

5a2e79a4c914c_RayDec2017.jpeg.ffe018a115bd63a577f9908783a580a2.jpeg5a2e79b740cd7_GeorgeBassDec2017.jpeg.a450a7feeb633595484ba811c8ba7be0.jpeg

How good are these pics. What a cheeky smile :) One happy boy there. 

Best part of fishing is seeing kids catch  some fish. Enjoyed s

hearing Liam quizzing dad to see who caught the biggest fish.

The fish were a bit slow in a few spots and we ended up down near the far marker where it was sheltered from the wind.

Best bass went 46cm weighed 1.12kg

We were lucky we knocked off a bit early because by the time we got to Petrie the wind was really whipping around the trees.

Kelvin you both are welcome any time.

npd 11.12.17 002 (640x480).jpg

npd 11.12.17 003 (640x480).jpg

Thanks guys, and Ray, yes it was a great day. And yeah I was explaining to Liam when we got home that he'd caught his first bass at the age of 6 and I had to wait til I was 38 (39 on Thursday ...) to get mine.

@Drop Bear not my hat mate, I would suspect either John or perhaps @Do$tylz. Maybe chuck it at the end of the party post to get a taker. Good luck tomorrow and enjoy unwrapping your present on Thursday. Oh and @Angus, enjoy 'unwrapping' yours too - I didn't realise until the party what 'due date' was referring to, thought you had an assignment (are you still studying or finished?) or magazine article due ......

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Thanks guys, and Ray, yes it was a great day. And yeah I was explaining to Liam when we got home that he'd caught his first bass at the age of 6 and I had to wait til I was 38 (39 on Thursday ...) to get mine.

@Drop Bear not my hat mate, I would suspect either John or perhaps @Do$tylz. Maybe chuck it at the end of the party post to get a taker. Good luck tomorrow and enjoy unwrapping your present on Thursday. Oh and @Angus, enjoy 'unwrapping' yours too - I didn't realise until the party what 'due date' was referring to, thought you had an assignment (are you still studying or finished?) or magazine article due ......

Haha. Yes that due date!

And funnily enough yes still studying, and have an article due!

Angus

You were saying at the Xmas party how excited you were to be going out with Ray on NPD:drooling:

Next you will have to get a permit and do it all yourself and take both Liam and George out. It's a great place for a family day out. I use to do it with my kids when we first arrived and Ray gave us some left over shrimp when he was on his way home one day. 

Archived