Coolmunda dam

Aaron H

I've personally never pulled a cod from there but they are certainly there. You'll usually find the yellas easy to find.

The locals weren't fishing it early October when I was last out that way, but I bet they are now it has some more water.

I'll talk to my dad next week and get an update then. (He's currently not there)

It's not that big, but it has it's spots. A man with a surf rod caught a 20lb cod from the boat ramp a couple of years ago.

Some night landbased fisherman also pull some monsters where you wouldn't fish when you could be seen.

You can fish the sticks for yellas - down the southern end there are some trees that when you look at them you can see where a road used to be. That's a spot. If you follow the old creek beds on your sounder and find where they join (Coolmunda's fed by two creeks) you might be able to entice a few as well.

The eastern side has some weed beds to play in as well.

Let me know if/when you're going and I'll be more specific with a map.

Aaron I have fished it we caught alot of nice yellas and some big eeltail cattys on trolled lures like boomerangs we trolled the rock wall and casted around the standing timber they sat the timber is good for cod or trolling the river bed counts for many cod

ellicat wrote:

Never seen one there....the locals know too many places to hide bodies;)

Two movies I wish I never saw with the amount of exploring I do, Wolf creek and Deliverance:unsure:

I hope I don't hear banjos,

Stu thats the magic word I like to hear cod;) I will catch a Queensland cod yet

The camp ground is at the turnoff, about 1k from the dam. They hire boats there as well.

Coolmunda is just a big shallow basin, no real structure etc, so would be an interesting fish! Have a look in the gallery, there are some photo's of it somewhere I took last year.

Fishing techniques at Coolmunda depend on the water level.

As Stu says working the edges of the creek channel is the way to go. The lake fishes quite well for cod at times, usually only for a few weeks then the locals have killed and grilled all of the active fish and it shuts down for another six months.

Have pics some where of parts of the lake. Will dig some out in the next day or two.

• 1 month later...

Archived