Making Anchoring Easier

Luvit

After having my boat for just a tick over 12 months I was deciding how to best proceed with the anchoring since the boat didn't have a bow sprite.

I rarely anchor and is why I wanted to see if I really need to drill holes in the boat. The anchor that come with it was a mooring only anchor with bugger all chain and on some overnighters it moved in heavy current.

So upgrade the chain to 6m of chain and will get some proper chain sock from Lance this weekend and I added a stainless reef anchor for those days where the wind is pushing you to fast over the reef.

Had to get a long SS sprite because of the design of the bow. I had a old split bollard from a previous boat I could use and then added a piece of flat teflon between the two, to stop the chain and anchor stems scratching the gel coat.

IMG_4408.jpg.0405095562bd00d8d6754c1cf7c123c3.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg.5a4727e07ec57584a1fbcc1ba976894e.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg.447df1596f853bfdaeb78cd1e40726cb.jpg

How the reef anchor will work.

an.thumb.jpg.b911a949f3876422edcc7a482aba2189.jpg

Should be good off the Barwon Banks. The reef anchor looks small for a 6 meter boat but other customers and maker have said it works fine.

we use a similar anchor shape..they are known as mooloolaba picks..i use a length of silver rope from bow back into boat..anchor is deployed and retrieved from in the boat  I use a 15 inch foam bubble with an anchor retriever clip on the anchor line and drive past the anchor and keep going till anchor chain hits the float clip and bounces.then spin round idle back down line and pik up..no pulling anchor up from depths.no trying to go thru hatch or climb round front to bow..chain is attached to front of anchor and cable tied to rear..it breaks under load and pulls anchor out forwards..mine are made from two pipesinside each other 25nb /32nb..19mm reo bar two shackles..rick

20170325_092908.jpg

Bet you that homie anchor is what keeps you on those snapper nice snapper you pictured. Thanks for sharing the tips @rickmarlin62

On another boat I had a electric anchor winch and fantastic but, not for this walk around boat.

The anchor pull bouy's are worth every cent and a very necessary so I found out the hard way when by myself.

After anchoring up for the night at Hervey Bay I woke in the morning and the current was very strong. I could not pull the boat against it to retrieve, even  by driving up and quickly putting it in neutral. by the time i got to the front it was tight again. It was dangerous and a hassle but now with the bouy, it is no problems and safe.

21 minutes ago, Luvit said:

The anchor pull bouy's are worth every cent and a very necessary so I found out the hard way when by myself.

Yep they are great but I also found out the hard way that you dont drive straight over the anchor line haha. I'm sure I am not the first to donate an anchor to Boat Rock...

I anchor from drivers side..when ready to drive forward I simply pull on anchor rope that's tied to springer rope from bow and that forces bow to left of anchor rope.then drive round it and keep going..ps I always leave anchor rope tied to front line when driving off to retrieve..if it pulls dead tight and stops boat it will just spin bow round..NEVER TIE OFF to rear cleat as transom can be pulled under...rick

14 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I anchor from drivers side..when ready to drive forward I simply pull on anchor rope that's tied to springer rope from bow and that forces bow to left of anchor rope.then drive round it and keep going..ps I always leave anchor rope tied to front line when driving off to retrieve..if it pulls dead tight and stops boat it will just spin bow round..NEVER TIE OFF to rear cleat as transom can be pulled under...rick

I will have to see this to understand sorry im a bit thick

I have a seafarer vsea with the hatch sealed..ssoooo I have no choice.but we use this system on all my mates boats..i havnt lost one of these picks in five years.thats how old the pick in foto is...I fish pretty gnarly reef areas chasin my reds and I dive it also so I know how bad the bottom is ..sometimes you have to change angles but they usually pop the cable tie and yank out...rick

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I have a seafarer vsea with the hatch sealed..ssoooo I have no choice.but we use this system on all my mates boats..i havnt lost one of these picks in five years.thats how old the pick in foto is...I fish pretty gnarly reef areas chasin my reds and I dive it also so I know how bad the bottom is ..sometimes you have to change angles but they usually pop the cable tie and yank out...rick

Nice. you should dive Boat rock. You could make a fortune in anchor sales. 

Archived