Bull Sharks A Plenty + Near Disaster

The Mad Hughesy

I feel like most of my reports start with “after many hours on the water for nothing, I finally hooked into some action”

Does anyone else seem to have numerous bad sessions before stringing a few catches together? Maybe its just me..

Anyway, this trip could have easily ended in disaster (ill explain later) but it turned out to be a good morning out.

Motored to our spot, rigged up and threw some freshwater eel baits out. I hadn’t even sat down for 60 seconds before both rods go off. My initial thought was that one has gone off and tangled/ taken the other line with it. So I grabbed one rod and set the hook while my wifre grabbed the other so we could untangle them…as she wound the drag up, she hooked into one as well! DOUBLE HOOK UP! A few minutes of chaos followed by two bull sharks in the boat, fun times. Hooks out, quick snap and both released. We both ended up with another shark each totalling 4 for the morning. We had another 4 runs but no hook ups. Super fun fishing on light gear. On another note, we broke one rod in the process but continued to fish with it. Ended up boating the biggest for the morning at 1 meter. Must say, hooking and catching a 1m shark on 10lb line with a broken rod is a challenge haha

6744317B-2346-4228-AD75-44CDAB0CBA2A.thumb.jpeg.2258cd6e5ed195813d3268b3e7912e8e.jpegE4B12A45-AFE7-43CA-9909-13DA1B2990EA.thumb.jpeg.4db1e61d4a1504d76e68b696b17c19ac.jpeg

On the way to the ramp, I noticed the trailer started to tow strangely, one side was bumpy. Being so close to the ramp, I just soldiered on. Launched the boat, came back from a few hours of fishing to see this….

B07B7840-42FE-4AB6-93FF-0FFA3EF206E8.thumb.jpeg.890f7d329e2df179f66de3674c535ff2.jpeg0195FB29-50D4-4708-8685-B05577376D22.thumb.png.0667458b956c55ad71fe46da32a2a6b8.png

Completely flat tyre that was absolutely shredded! Must have hit something on the highway. Scary stuff, could have ended a lot worse. Luckily, I had my spare ready to go. But it has put the wind up me, so im not boating again until I get new tyres. So lesson learnt…always have a spare ready to go!

also made a short video montage of the day. Enjoy!

Cheers mate

im not too fussy on locations. mainly, I try places that don’t have as much fishing pressure. Makes a big difference in my eyes.

but I like places with nice long channels that are close to the bay and river mouths. Also, places that have good amounts of bait around is a plus. I’ve been fishing this particular spot for 7 years or so, still produces the goods 🙂

Great to see you get amongst them.

Same, Luv bull shark fillets.

Scary predicament with the tyre.

Something I was told by a tyre place when I needed new trailer tyres.

A lot of people don't do a lot of km's on trailer tyres, so because the tyres have plenty of tread people leave them on for many years until they fail.

What they suggested is to inspect your tyres and if there is any small cracking occurring in the side wall replace them immediately and basically every 3 years you should replace them. This would be more of an issue if the trailer is kept outside in our harsh sun.

I am very wary of this and when you hurdle down the Bruce Hwy with 2.5 ton of boat & trailer on the back, it's not going to end good for me or anyone around me if a tyre was to fail at 100kmph. 

Archived