Baitcasting Rod Advice

ggg

Hello everyone,

I have decided to build myself a baitcasting rod for my Calcutta 200B. I want a long rod (I already have a shorter one) for flats fishing and landbased casting. I have gotten myself a 7 foot blank. It's a lightish action and rated for around 4-5kg. Will this rod be able to pull in a sizeable barra or good size fish in the snags or will it just snap? I will run 25-30lb braid on this setup and a 40lb leader.

How do you intend to fish for the barra / fish? Trolling or Casting? I wouldn't normally look at using a Calcutta 200B for casting and would get a lower profile baitcaster for that application.

Just asking before you pull the trigger on a rod and reel combo that wouldn't be suited for how you want to use it.

You should only snap it if you misuse it. Personally I would have gone 6 to 8kg for the rod, but it looks like you have bought the blank already. You should stop most things but with that weight braid you will need to be a bit careful how you manoeuvre fish out of the snags. With the greatest of respect , why ask the question after you make the purchase?

I am a big fan of my Calcutta's. I own the 200B and the 400B. I have a custom G-Loomis on the 400B for live baiting and trolling (it's a shorter rod and a bit stiffer). The 200B is my casting reel. I love the traditional shaped reels. I haven't had any problems and the reel was one of the first Calcutta's ever produced. I purchased the blank for only $2 (at a garage sale along with 5 other blanks) and I had the idea of a light bream/ estuary rod or a new baitcasting rod. I chose the baitcasting rod as I have no need for another estuary combo.

31 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

You should only snap it if you misuse it. Personally I would have gone 6 to 8kg for the rod, but it looks like you have bought the blank already. You should stop most things but with that weight braid you will need to be a bit careful how you manoeuvre fish out of the snags. With the greatest of respect , why ask the question after you make the purchase?

As it appears that you have already bought the blank so this is a bit of a moot point, however I personally would have got a  Ugly Stik bait caster as those rods are incredibly hard to break, so if you put the heavier line on you could still give the rod all the grunt you could (even high sticking it) and be very unlikely to damage it. With the solid glass tip they are quite sensitive to nibbles for the lighter fish.

https://www.dinga.com.au/ugly-stik-gold-series-overhead-rods-new-2018.html

If you were wanting something with extra grunt you could always import one of these from NZ, should cost about $140 delivered. I bought 2 of them, 1 or myself and 1 for the Son In law.

https://www.discountfishingsupplies.co.nz/shop/FISHING+SECTION/SALTWATER+FISHING+SECTION/Rods/Boat++Game+Rods/Shakespeare+UGLY+STIK+-+BLACK+TIGER+Boat+Rod+70+5-25Kg+2PC%3Fsku=2786.html