Advice Shimano Raider Rod

Leosonfire

I have a 4 - 6kg raider snapper light that I bought a few years ago to match a Daiwa TD Sol reel. I rarely use it.  It looks nice but it just doesn’t have the same feel as some of my other rods. I have been looking for a new snapper/tuna rod and thinking about a Live Fibre because I have a live fibre barra rod that I really like. A bit more money, but buy once buy right is my motto. 

Personally I would go for a daiwa aird X rod 3-7kg because it has a fast enough taper to able have great sensitivity but slow enough that you can handle the massive head shakes of big fish I don’t like the feel of the shimano raider rod’s because it feels to stiff even for lure fishing it’s like super stiff and also the aird X is cheap but both will do the job fine I think . But the aird x rod in my opinion has advantages Over the raider . But better yet old scaly mention those live fibre rods which will be better then both the aird x and raider rods

On 02/10/2020 at 4:58 PM, Old Scaley said:

I have a 4 - 6kg raider snapper light that I bought a few years ago to match a Daiwa TD Sol reel. I rarely use it.  It looks nice but it just doesn’t have the same feel as some of my other rods. I have been looking for a new snapper/tuna rod and thinking about a Live Fibre because I have a live fibre barra rod that I really like. A bit more money, but buy once buy right is my motto. 

I went to BCF today as is my want, and while I was there, I asked about these live fibre rods you mentioned. Never heard of them before. They only had one and it was too heavy a rating for me to use regularly but I liked the look and feel of it. It was something like 15-20kg rating, and $299. I obviously could get it cheaper off them because they price match. Was just wondering what you particularly like about them @Old Scaley? Also, what is rating of the one you have already?

On 03/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, GregOug said:

I went to BCF today as is my want, and while I was there, I asked about these live fibre rods you mentioned. Never heard of them before. They only had one and it was too heavy a rating for me to use regularly but I liked the look and feel of it. It was something like 15-20kg rating, and $299. I obviously could get it cheaper off them because they price match. Was just wondering what you particularly like about them @Old Scaley? Also, what is rating of the one you have already?

Hey Greg. It is a live fibre territory 8kg baitcast barra rod. It is 6 foot. I really like the feel of of it, it is well finished and has a beautiful action. You know how some rods just feel right and others feel sort of stiff and hollow. 

46 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Hey Greg. It is a live fibre territory 8kg baitcast barra rod. It is 6 foot. I really like the feel of of it, it is well finished and has a beautiful action. You know how some rods just feel right and others feel sort of stiff and hollow. 

Yep. I know exactly what you mean. Might keep my eye out for one then.

1 hour ago, Leosonfire said:

Thanks I just purchased the arid x combo 4000 6ft 6-12kg 20pound mono. 

thought 6ft would suit the yak better. Feels great. Also heard mono Works better on the snapper. 

it’s ready to go for a night session tonight with @ellicat

tonights the night! Zzzzzzzzzz

Nice choice the aird x rods and aird lt reels go nice together can’t wait for snapper report 

On 03/10/2020 at 8:49 PM, GregOug said:

Try Tackle Warehouse at Coorperoo. They are great.

I love the live fibre rods. They are a medium weight carbon fibre rod that takes a knock. I have bought a LOT of low resin, high end carbon fibre rods and have broken ALL of them... I have banned myself for the time being from purchasing any more. Every Live Fibre I have bought is still going strong. Some are probably 20 years old now and don't look brand new but work as well as the day I bought them.