Estuary- muddy water monster Something big breaking off from the pontoon

subtlefly

So back at the pontoon on a decidedly ordinary fishing day last weekend and got a very nice strike and hook up- 30lb braid FC knot to 80lb platypus leader- this thing pulled for maybe 30 - 45 seconds - really swirled the top of the water out in the creek so  I don't think it was something big on the bottom like a  shovel nose or big stingray - anyways cut straight through the 80lb line.

Normally I understand that its best to make your bait seem as natural as possible - I am using whole squid (about 7-10 cm long) on a single large hook or live bait mullet or prawn when I can catch some - and have not been using a wire trace.  The big hit and chew off was on the squid.  Do you think it is worth running a trace to see what this thing is?  I don't really want to spend my time catching monster catfish or pike eel - But we have caught some cool sharks and there has been a 102 cm Barramundi and some smaller catch and release Mulloway from the pontoon...    There must also be Mangrove Jack there but I we haven't caught any yet.

So the mystery monster - is it worth trying to pull it up with a wire trace or is it (based on the experience and statistics) going to be some non edible/ugly/dangerous beast that is going for that type of bait you think?

Thanks team and have a great day- tight lines

sub