Weekend at Boggy II

jdollazz

Couple of good flatties there, Jack. Seems you have them sussed out. You can have the dreaded stingray though.

Bugger about the rod. New carbon fibre rods have very unforgiving tips and aren't made to be loaded up (as you found out). Try keeping your rod at no more than 45 degrees throughout any fight - this will put the stress on the heavier end of the rod where it's meant to be.

I've only been up the creek once or twice for no joy, but others do say jacks and threadies. Never heard of jew from there.

Good work @jdollazz. Those are some nice fish!

I don't think you'd get any sizeable jewies in there but when I was fishing there last a fella told me he was catching some baby ones (I guess they could have been river perch though). It could be possible to catch a thready or jack but I don't think there is much landbased access going upstream from the boat ramp, I walked up the track a couple hundred metres and after a couple openings it seemed to go away from the creek. 

Nice job @jdollazz

I reckon you could pick up some jacks along the edges in a kayak, and maybe a thready. 

When fishing here with @AUS-BNE-FISHO recently a guy was telling us he was catching jewies and threadies on bait but i doubt this as he got his species a little mixed up to say the least 🤣

Just like what @AUS-BNE-FISHO said I reckon they'd have been some little river perch. 

15 hours ago, jdollazz said:

In a time when everything is either a reboot or a sequel, i'm back with my second Boggy Creek report. 

First, the bad news - on Friday i was down there casting from the bank and not having much luck and had just lost the zerek soft plastic shrimp i'd bought the previous weekend when i decided to go for broke and use the fish trap lure and hooked onto what i thought was a big fish. i struggled with it for a bit before it went out into the middle of the creek and just sat at the bottom. i wasnt sure how to go about it as it felt being snagged and i was only on a light setup. i tried my best at reeling and when i felt it move slightly i made the mistake of ripping up and sure enough snapped the top of my rod off 😪

After a trip to the tackle warehouse in coorparoo the next day, i picked up a new rod and reel and headed down to Boggy again to hopefully make up for the previous outing and find out what did the damage to my rod. 

My mate and I got down there just after 9am and planned to fish the incoming tide until 12-1. Both of us were using the 1/2 oz jigs with the 3" zman minnowz and just casted from the bank until at about 10:30am my mate managed to hook on to this nice flathead:

image.thumb.jpeg.7c6e8032f8d60d0b958559f1982a70ef.jpeg

Then about half an hour later I got lucky as well and hooked onto this one:

image.png.65f5254f4118a905a6452f2c992563ab.png

At 56cm it was a personal best for me so i was pretty stoked, anything after this would just be a bonus

Unfortunately though i lost another flathead right at the bank about an hour later and that was all i could manage for the rest of the day. 

Right before we were about to call it a day, we spotted the culprit from yesterday as it came right up to us at the bank.... a big stingray 😂 so maybe it was better i lost the rod as i have no experience dealing with those. 

All in all, a good day out and was happy to make up for disappointing Friday! 

PS - what do you guys think i could catch if i headed further up the creek? i've been told there could be threadfin, jewies and the occasional jack but i have no idea

Cheers guys  

Nice brag mat you got there.

16 hours ago, ellicat said:

Couple of good flatties there, Jack. Seems you have them sussed out. You can have the dreaded stingray though.

Bugger about the rod. New carbon fibre rods have very unforgiving tips and aren't made to be loaded up (as you found out). Try keeping your rod at no more than 45 degrees throughout any fight - this will put the stress on the heavier end of the rod where it's meant to be.

I've only been up the creek once or twice for no joy, but others do say jacks and threadies. Never heard of jew from there.

thanks for the tip Brian, much appreciated as always! 

15 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Good work @jdollazz. Those are some nice fish!

I don't think you'd get any sizeable jewies in there but when I was fishing there last a fella told me he was catching some baby ones (I guess they could have been river perch though). It could be possible to catch a thready or jack but I don't think there is much landbased access going upstream from the boat ramp, I walked up the track a couple hundred metres and after a couple openings it seemed to go away from the creek. 

thanks @AUS-BNE-FISHO they're not record breakers but they were a good feed 

yeah we tried taking my mates navarra from the boat ramp up that track but like you said it moves away from the creek the further you go up. If you and @TheCharliefishofeel like making the trek, you can walk from the bridge over Boggy from the main myrtle town rd down to where I've marked and give it a go. i tried it on the public holiday because the usual spots down there were very busy. i didnt see much action but maybe you guys will have more luck. just an idea 

image.thumb.png.ca9aa608d188afa77c38cddd9e67a234.png

2 hours ago, christophagus said:

bris river jacks are a very hard to catch fish, very rare. they do exist though
and yeah there is always a chance of threadies. solid flathead, keep it up

just out of curiosity, do you live north or south of the river lol always looking for new Suburbs of Origin Team North members!

sorry to disappoint mate, but i'm a southsider 😂

2 minutes ago, jdollazz said:

thanks @AUS-BNE-FISHO they're not record breakers but they were a good feed 

yeah we tried taking my mates navarra from the boat ramp up that track but like you said it moves away from the creek the further you go up. If you and @TheCharliefishofeel like making the trek, you can walk from the bridge over Boggy from the main myrtle town rd down to where I've marked and give it a go. i tried it on the public holiday because the usual spots down there were very busy. i didnt see much action but maybe you guys will have more luck. just an idea 

image.thumb.png.ca9aa608d188afa77c38cddd9e67a234.png

Thanks mate. We will try get to the other side the next time around, or fish from a kayak.