Northern Bay _ Sunday 09/12

Bill74

Finally managed a day off from the festivities and the dodgy weather last Sunday. Dropped in the skirts and within 2 minutes was hooked up to a small (~10-15kg) black marlin. Unfortunately we dropped it after it spectactularly launched itself out of the water for a third time. Thoroughout the next 2 hours we managed to get at least 4 other confirmed blacks up to the boat but didn't get any solid hookups. Also got blizted by a wahoo around the 8kg mark.

The critters went off the chew around 10am so we headed to the shipping channel for some hopeful macky action. Nothing was taking the slugs so we tried some live baits. After about 30 minutes one of the overheads screamed into action with a 25-30kg longtail tuna attached to it. We fought the beast for 40 minutes and were were within 2 metres of landing it when the BLOODY ROD SNAPPED in half with the weight of the fish. SPEWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ironic thing about the rod snapping, was that one of my crew kept making comments throughout the 40 minute fight regarding how amazing it was that the rod didn't just simply snap under the weight of the fish. I kept telling them to shut up because I've seen it happen before. Talk about putting the mocker on someone. Needless to say they were noticeably VERY QUIET after the rod actually did snap.

Anyway, no fish boated but we still had a very memorable day out in the water. I just need a new rod before I head out next time. Hopefully Santa might come early so it can be this weekend.

Bill74

Hi guys,

Dan23: i hear yah re the drag, it was already loose as. the bloody thing was just too damn heavy to get in close enough to gaff without sinking down another 2 or so metres out of reach.

Buzz: all the hits were on a green/yellow skirt colours

Whatnow: no soul in sight all morning. we had the ocean to ourselves.

Fishyman: listen to what Mackmauler says. i went out on a charter earlier this year and a saw a VERY ANGRY 150kg blue marlin launch itself straight at the stern of the boat. the only thing that saved the decky from 150kg of billfish in his chest was some very quick throttle work by the skipper. needless to say, after that experience the whole crew kept a safe metre or so away from the edge of the boat when a fish was nearby. we got the whole thing on video, bloody great watch!

Bill74

Archived