AFO Boat

Feral

Well as most of you know my son Alex won the boat in the Junior division of the Classic.

This means the old tinnie I had stashed in the roof of the shed is no longer needed.

here is a pic of my Daughter and I in it on Hinze dam at the AFO day there early last year.

boat031.jpg

There is a thread where I did a bit of work on the old girl here.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=58214&catid=5&limit=20&limitstart=0

Basically I have asked Angus if he would mind if I donated it as a \"AFO Boat\", for the young fella's that fish the quieter stretches of water around Brissy - IE Aquarium passage, schulz's Canal, even the 6knot side of Kooka and similar areas. Also - it would be paddle power only unless they have their own motor.

I have had it on Hinze, Baroon and the Caboolture weir with 2 adults (Ferg and I) and a 40 kilo battery. I've even had it on lake Baroon in a 20knot wind with a 2 foot chop, not pleasant but we were safe enough.

The hull is around 7 foot, rated for two adults and a 4hp motor. You can see in the picture with my daughter and I there is still plenty of freeboard, (about 140kilo's between us, gee she's heavy for a little thing, plus a 30 kilo battery)

I have mounted a mount on the bow for an electric transom mount (head on motor has to be turned around to use it easily).

She is solid but old, with many welds and it leaks a bit. However 30 seconds to a minute of bailing every hour or two is more than enough to get rid of the little bit of water that leaks in. (If someone cleaned the old silastic etc off it and painted it that would probably get rid of all the leaks anyway. )

I have enough ply lying around I could probably put a floor in it to keep feet dry, but might affect it being able to be used as a car topper (might not be enough solid mounting points for it to stay in if tipped upside down)

Note - She is not suitable for the open river where larger boats run.

Anyway Angus has said he is keen on the idea, so I thought I would toss the idea up for discussion.

For it to work a few things need to happen.

I need to find someone closer to Brisbane willing to to store it, and have the young fella's coming and going borrowing it (maybe one of the young fella's who might use it often) I live to far away.

The boat wont be owned by anybody (certainly not the AFO site) so it would all be at the users risk, and just an honour system that she stayed available for AFO members to use.

She is basically a bare hull, so I'd ask for other members to donate old safety gear for her, like life jackets, oars, anchor and rope etc so anyone who borrowed it would only need to supply a trailer or roof rack to transport her.

What does everyone think?

Well, I'm home most days and on AFO most days too. I live 8km's from the top of Elizabeth Street off-ramp of the SE Freeway. It could sit on top of my shed, or even inside if I cleaned it up a bit, so I'd be happy enough to house it if there are no better offers.

Kind offer Feral. Looks like you're into the Christmas spirit early:)

I have most of the bits to knock up a trailer for it. axle ,wheels, hubs, springs, coupling, winch, rollers and skids, maybe mudguards, may need to scrounge some rhs or something similar for frame.

Also would need to work out whose name to register it in as dept of transport will want someones name to hang speed camera violations etc on.

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

I have most of the bits to knock up a trailer for it. axle ,wheels, hubs, springs, coupling, winch, rollers and skids, maybe mudguards, may need to scrounge some rhs or something similar for frame.

Also would need to work out whose name to register it in as dept of transport will want someones name to hang speed camera violations etc on.

Cheers

Ray

I have some lenghts of dura-gal leftover from my bike trailer that you can have for the frame:)

good on ya Feral

Ok so far -

Ellicat has volunteered to keep her at his place

Faulked for a reef anchor and rope, maybe a life jacket

Dino for some older jackets

Lozzel for a sand anchor setup, and a jacket as well.

Ray and Bommie in for trailer parts if someone is real keen, although I'd say from ellicat's point of view just a hull would be easier to store!

We still need some propulsion, anyone got a set of 5 or 6 foot oars they dont want? If no one does I'll pick up a pair of paddles from withworths on Monday and chuck them in, (they have them on special for $7.50 each.)Oars would be easier to row, but paddles easier to store - hmm. See how we go.

I think that will pretty much cover it.

Ok so looks like the boat and gear is a goer.

Just need to find out if any of the land based blokes, (particulary the young fella's who need to check with parents who will be doing the to and froing) will want to borrow it before we put it all together.

I'll put up another thread for that so it catches their eye.

• 10 months later...

Archived